Ghana, Malawi, Morocco and South Africa
Smart Energy Solutions for Africa (SESA
Deadline : 20 November 2022
Siemens Stiftung on behalf of the Smart Energy Solutions for Africa (SESA) consortium is calling Small and Medium-sized Enterprises with a focus on sustainable energy solutions from Ghana, Malawi, Morocco and South Africa to apply for its first SESA Call for Entrepreneurs. Enterprises with innovative, scalable and impactful business ideas will join the SESA Incubator Programme and receive grant funding of up to 70,000 Euro. Women-led enterprises are particularly encouraged to apply.
SESA aims to test, validate and later replicate scalable energy solutions in multiple locations supported by solid business models and partnerships between African and European stakeholders. SESA focuses on innovation within the three areas of (1) energy access, (2) productive use and (3) circular economy.
The uptake of new solutions and business models requires close cooperation between innovative entrepreneurs, local enterprises, industry, city administrations and research and academic institutions. Small and Medium-sized Enterprises can play a key role in this process through the provision of their innovative products or services and by having a positive social as well as environmental impact on their communities. Call for Entrepreneurs.
With the acceptance that energy access and productive use are strongly correlated with economic development, this first SESA Call for Entrepreneurs focuses primarily on Productive Use of Energy (PUE) solutions in Ghana, Malawi, Morocco and South Africa.
The below country challenges provide further information on thematic and regional focus per country. For more details on the selection and evaluation process, please have a look at our application guidelines.
Country Challenge Ghana
Country Challenge Malawi
Country Challenge Morocco
Country Challenge Morocco (FR)
Country Challenge South Africa
Funding and SESA Incubator Programme
Each selected enterprise will receive funding from 50,000 Euro up to 70,000 Euro over a period of 18 months. They will also become a member of the SESA Incubator Programme run by the project partner Smart Innovation Norway. SESA consortium partners will evaluate the specific needs of your business and develop an individualised strategy to support you in one of our main topics: business development, organisational development, financial transparency, marketing, sales, and fundraising. Each funded company will have a dedicated mentor (local or international, as per the need) who shall provide regular support in the above-mentioned topics.
Who is qualified to apply?
We can only consider applications, which meet the below minimum criteria:
- Your enterprise must be registered and operationally active in Ghana, Malawi, Morocco or South Africa;
- Your enterprise must have officially been in operation for at least two years;
- Your enterprise must have generated revenues and provide financial statements for the last two years (if 2021 is not available yet, please provide financial statements for 2019 and 2020);
- Your enterprise must contribute to at least two of the SESA Key Performance Indicators (please see the application form for further detail);
- There are no pending litigations against your enterprise or members of its management team;
- Your application should meet the thematic focus of your country’s challenge.
Take a moment and have a look at our application guidelines.
The work outlined in this Expression of Interest is scheduled to commence in January 2023 and be finalized by August 2024.
Applications must include all mandatory documents and must be submitted electronically via email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline of 20th of November 2022.
List of mandatory documents:
- Application Form
- Certificate of incorporation/association and registration certificate
- Financial statements for the last two years (if financial statements for 2021 are not available yet, please provide financial statements for 2020 and 2019)
- If you operate as a non-profit, hybrid organization (both non-profit and for-profit entities) or are governed by a charity/ NGO, we kindly request you to also submit: List of trustees and board members, Governance structure and if applicable, confirmation of tax-exempt status.
Please take a moment to read the application guidelines before applying. Do not hesitate to contact us in case of questions.
Q&A Session for all interested SMEs participating in our SESA Call for Entrepreneurs 2022.
Thursday Nov 3, 2022 ⋅ CET 2pm – 3:30pm.
Please register via email to email@example.comIn case of questions or if you would like to nominate a social enterprise, please get in touch with Ms Elisabeth Biber at Siemens Stiftung. Please reach out to her at opencall@siemen