Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL)
International/ Global applicants
Application Deadline: 11 October 2022
Overview of SEforALL
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an international organization working with leaders in government, the private sector and civil society to drive further, faster action toward achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), which calls for universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to limit climate warming to below 2° Celsius.
Achieving these goals will require a radical rethink of the way we produce, distribute and consume energy. SEforALL is at the heart of this foundational shift to ensure no one is left behind. Drawing on data and evidence, we identify a critical path to success in achieving SDG7.
Former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the Sustainable Energy for All initiative in 2011. Now an independent organization, we maintain close links with the UN, including through a relationship agreement, partnerships with UN agencies and with SEforALL’s CEO acting as the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Sustainable Energy for All and Co-Chair of UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy and the implementation of SDG7 and supporting the coordination of sustainable energy issues in the United Nations system.
The ambitions of SDG7 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris Agreement on climate change involves transformation at a scale never undertaken before. Swift action must be taken by leaders in governments, private sector companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions, communities, entrepreneurs and civil society. As we enter the final decade to achieve SDG7, SEforALL has strategically chosen to strengthen global agenda-setting while expanding its activities to an engagement model that prioritizes data-driven decision-making, partnerships with high-impact countries and implementation on the ground. The new SEforALL three-year business plan outlines “results offers” that scope out our planned interventions and demonstrate to our funding partners the impact of their support.
Team: International Relations and Special Project
Line Manager: Principal Specialist, Energy
Contract Type: Limited-term full-time
Grade Level: Specialist 3, overall level 6
Date Required: As soon as possible
Duration: One year with possibility to extend
Context and Objective of Assignment
International Relations and Special Projects (IRSP) has been driving the SEforALL’s global engagement related to SDG-7 and its interlinkages with SDG-13 by driving energy transition and climate action at global, regional, and national level. For instance, engage and support global players through a broad range of action-oriented partnerships with partner country governments, development finance institutions, development partners, international organizations, NGOs, CSOs and the private sector.
IRSP has also been influencing global fora by providing strategic inputs to workshops, technical papers and the convenings of high-level partners and fora. Therefore, the activities have ranged from political engagement to national planning/policy support on energy transition. The IRSP is envisaging to provide technical assistance to developing countries in Africa (Ghana, Kenya, Senegal) and Asia (Bangladesh, Indonesia, and Gujarat/Karnataka) for energy transition plans. The objective of energy transition plans is to provide decarbonization pathway that integrates the SDG-7 and SDG-13 goals that would inform the investment and policy gaps to address energy transition readiness and sustainable development.
Purpose/Objective of the Role
The main objectives of the role include:
- Support the establishment of SEforALL’s energy transition model for ODA eligible countries
- Technical lead for modelling of energy transition pathway for ODA eligible countries
- Support policy analysis for recommending energy transition plans for ODS eligible countries
- Support drafting and analysis of briefs relating to technology, investment needs, and cost-benefits for developing national/sub-national energy transition plans.
Duties and Tasks for the Role
The main tasks of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Support the project lead for the establishment of SEforALL’s energy transition modelling unit or tool for ODA eligible developing countries or identified project countries
- Function as a technical lead for energy and climate modelling exercises and related tasks for developing energy transition pathways or decarbonization pathways of the energy sector
- Support the project lead to undertake policy analysis related to energy transition pathways/plans in identified project countries
- Lead the drafting and related tasks for developing energy transition pathways or plans for identified project countries
- Function as a technical lead to develop detailed baseline evaluation for undertaking energy transition planning, including possibility of progressing implementation for identified project countries
- Support the project lead to coordinate and liaise with project stakeholders, partners and consultants at global and country level for the delivery of the project
- Lead the establishment of internal and external data collection and warehousing protocols and templates.
- Support the project lead on tasks related with monitoring, evaluation and learning for the energy transition projects and facilitate knowledge sharing across SEforALL teams, e.g., with Salesforce and SharePoint
- Ensure effective coordination with internal SEforALL programs (particularly with Energy Efficiency & Cooling, Integrated Energy Access Planning and Clean Cooking teams) to effectively synergize and leverage energy transition work at global and country level
- Support communications and knowledge sharing dialogues on energy transition.
- Support SEforALL outreach efforts and public facing global events (COP, UNGA etc.) on energy transition
- Work with other teams within SEforALL to support the development of knowledge and implementation work products that utilize the breadth of skills at SEforALL.
Specific Competencies for the Role
The desired skills and attributes for candidates include, but are not limited to:
- A Masters’ degree in Economics, Engineering, Mathematics or related field. A Bachelors degree combined with an additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
- At least 7 years of hands-on experience of one or various energy models such as OSEMOSYS, TIMES/MARKAL, LEAP, MESSAGE etc. and excellent quantitative background and understanding of energy sector dynamics.
- Demonstrated experience of developing and/or technical lead on country energy transition pathway models, particularly in developing countries would be considered as an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of modelling power sector decarbonization pathways, and knowledge of other sectors such as industries, transport, building and agriculture decarbonization modeling experience would be considered as an asset.
- Experience of integration of energy models with macro-economic models/parameters and FLEXTOOL (or any other similar tools related to power sector planning for increasing variable renewable energy share) is desirable.
- Advanced knowledge of energy transition and net-zero concepts relating to policies, strategies, technologies and awareness of the major global players and initiatives
- Advanced knowledge of renewable energy sector and variable renewable energy integration , particularly on technology, policy, regulations, market mechanisms etc.
- Demonstrated experience in working with analytical teams and managing task leadership within tight deadlines.
- Excellent analytical writing skills as demonstrated in past work products (analytical reports, quantitative analysis, and/or published papers).
- Ability to effectively communicate with policy makers and stakeholders using data and synthesized narratives to provide the rationale for action.
- Good knowledge of Python, R or other programming languages to modify or update energy model script, demonstrated examples of such skill would be considered as an advantage
- Experience supporting governments or development agencies in developing country is an advantage.
- Experience in demanding, pressurized, international environments is and advantage.
- Excellent reading, speaking and writing skill in English language, similar skills in additional language would be desirable but not mandatory.
General Competences for the Role
- Innovation and Adaptability: Has expert skills and commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities. Is flexible to evolving circumstances, as well as helps others in doing so.
- Resilience and Emotional Intelligence: Has expert knowledge in the concepts of resilience and emotional intelligence. Is able to remain calm in challenging situations, to cope with setbacks, is responsive to the emotions of others and maintains a high level of performance.
- Analytical and Strategic Thinking: Has an expert level of analytical and strategic thinking skills. Gathers and processes demanding information, develops innovative solutions and contributes by representing topics/approaches in internal and cross-functional working groups/teams.
- Collaboration and Partnership: Demonstrates expert initiative and abilities to collaborate and form partnerships in own area of responsibility, across teams and externally. Builds and maintains effective relationships at all levels inside and outside the organisation. Displays team-oriented attitude contributing to creating a positive team spirit.
- Lead and Empower: Demonstrates initiative and role model behaviour in leading and empowering others. Takes responsibility for own work activities and personal actions and carries out the commitments agreed upon.
- Political and diplomatic understanding: Has an expert level of political and diplomatic understanding.
- Communicating information: Has expert skills in communicating information and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work and in others’ work.
- Research and Analytics: Has expert skills in research and analytics. Promotes the use of data within the team and to contribute to wider decision making.
- Project Management: Has expert skills in project management. Plans and organises their own work using project management tools in support of achieving the team’s objectives.
- Client Orientation / Striving for Excellence: Has expert skills in client orientation and achieving excellency in work delivery.
Our Values – please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
Salary information: SEforALL has adopted its own salary scales corresponding to the SEforALL grading system. The minimum yearly salary for this position is EUR 64,432. The actual salary offer will be determined within the scale depending on the successful candidate’s qualification and experience, and applying the principle of internal equity. In addition to the base salary, SEforALL staff receive a benefits package that includes contribution to pension, contribution to health insurance & homeworking allowance.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Vienna, Washington DC and New York City, and flexibility and result orientated modern workplace arrangements.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.