Canon Collins Mail and Guardian Masters Degree Scholarship plus paid Internship 2022/2023 (fully funded). Apply Now!
Apply Now For Canon Collins Mail and Guardian Masters Degree Scholarship plus paid Internship 2022/2023 (fully funded)
South African Universities
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Namibia, Zambia, Malawi, Eswatini, Botswana, Angola, Mozambique
Deadline: 01 November 2022 3:00 pm GMT
Canon Collins Mail and Guardian Masters Degree Scholarship offer funding towards your Masters course, an opportunity to enhance your networks and strengthen your leadership skills through organised events, and a 12-month paid internship at Mail & Guardian on issues around human rights or education.
This Canon Collins Mail and Guardian Masters Degree scholarship seek to support exceptional individuals who are committed to social justice in Southern Africa, and for whom a postgraduate qualification is an essential tool in strengthening their work as a media specialist to promote positive social change, particularly in the area of human rights or education. Funding for these scholarships has been made possible through support received from the Sol Plaatje Educational Project (SPEP).
Are you eligible?
Canon Collins Mail and Guardian Masters Degree Scholarship Applicants must be:
- be a southern African national, currently residing in South Africa and from one of the following countries: South Africa, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Namibia, Zambia, Malawi, Eswatini, Botswana, Angola, Mozambique
- be in possession of a good Honours degree (minimum second class, upper division or equivalent) or about to graduate in the year of application
- be applying for a 1 year full-time Masters course in the field of Journalism, Communication or Media Studies at any South African university; or be already studying a 2 year course in this field
- be available to undertake a 12-month paid internship as a Reporter at the Mail and Guardian in 2024
- preference is given to applicants that can demonstrate a commitment to education or human rights matters in southern Africa through work experience, volunteerism or as an activist
Please apply only if you are eligible and meet ALL of the above criteria.
Please download and read the guidelines carefully before applying for this scholarship.
What we offer
The Canon Collins Journalism for Social Change Scholarship includes:
- a contribution towards your costs for the duration of your study period;
- a 12-month paid internship at the Mail and Guardian;
- an opportunity to enhance your networks, and strengthen your academic and leadership skills through organised events.
How to apply
The deadline for applications is at 15:00 GMT on 1st November. Late applications will not be considered.
Please do not email us to ask about the outcome of your application. All notifications will be by email so please make sure you provide an accurate email address.
We will be interviewing shortlisted applicants in November. We will let you know the outcome of your application in November.
To receive more opportunities:
Join our WhatsApp group and Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: