International (all nations)
Application Deadline: varying
Have you considered dedicating your skills and expertise virtually to advance global peace, development and humanitarian efforts. Through the Online Volunteering service of the United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme, you can connect with UN entities, governments, public institutions and civil society organizations. Find out more on how to become an Online Volunteer and help tackle today’s sustainable development challenges – from any device, anywhere in the world.
Why volunteer online?
- Through Online Volunteering, you can contribute your skills and expertise towards achieving sustainable human development efforts of organizations around the world.
- You can get first-hand practical experience with organizations working in the development sector.
- You can also extend your network among different organizations and make invaluable connections.
- To sign up on the Unified Volunteering Platform and apply for Online Volunteer assignments, you must be at least 18 years of age.
- There is no particular background required to become an Online Volunteer. Each Online Volunteer assignment is different and has its own requirements, set by the host organization.
- As an Online Volunteer, you can only support organizations remotely in assignments up to 20 hours per week for a maximum of 12 weeks for each assignment.
- Anyone interested in contributing their time and skills to the global sustainable human development efforts can become an Online Volunteer, regardless of your background or location.
Online Volunteering: how does it work?
- Non-profit organizations working for peace and development – UN agencies, governments & public institutions, and civil society organizations – register their organization details.
- UNV reviews and approves the registration of eligible organizations.
- Organizations complete an online form explaining what they need from online volunteers.
- UNV provides guidance and support on how to best organize online collaboration.
- UNV reviews the descriptions of assignments and publishes them if they meet the criteria.
- Volunteers find assignments of their interest and apply.
- Organizations select the volunteers they want to engage.
- Volunteers and organizations collaborate online.
- Volunteers and organizations provide feedback on their collaboration.
- Organizations issue an electronic certificate of appreciation to their volunteers.
In order to apply for assignments, candidates need to register in our Global Talent Pool. The registration process follows a few simple steps, all of which must be completed before you can apply for onsite or online volunteering assignments. You can update your UNV profile at any time, and you should access it at least once a year to keep it active.