Home based/ Remote
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL)
Application Deadline: 12 December 2022 at 23:59 CET
Overview of SEforALL
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an international organization working with leaders in government, the private sector and civil society to drive further, faster action toward achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), which calls for universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to limit climate warming to well below 2° Celsius (and striving for 1.5° Celsius).
Achieving these goals will require a radical rethink of the way we produce, distribute and consume energy. SEforALL is at the heart of this foundational shift to ensure no one is left behind. Drawing on data and evidence, we identify a critical path to success in achieving SDG7.
The 8th UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the Sustainable Energy for All initiative in 2012. Now an independent organization, we maintain close links with the UN, including through a relationship agreement, partnerships with UN agencies and with SEforALL’s CEO acting as the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative (SRSG) for Sustainable Energy for All and Co-Chair of UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy and the implementation of SDG7 and supporting the coordination of sustainable energy issues in the United Nations system.
The ambitions of SDG7 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris Agreement on climate change involves transformation at a scale never undertaken before. Swift action must be taken by leaders in governments, private sector companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions, communities, entrepreneurs and civil society.
As we enter the final decade to achieve SDG7, SEforALL has strategically chosen to strengthen global agenda-setting while expanding its activities to an engagement model that prioritizes data-driven decision-making, partnerships with high-impact countries and implementation on the ground. SEforALL’s current three-year business plan outlines “results offers” that scope out our planned interventions and demonstrate to our funding partners the impact of their support.
Remote Internship position-Energy Transition Intern
There is an exciting remote internship position specializing on Energy Transition at SEforALL!
International Relations and Special Projects (IRSP) has been driving the SEforALL’s global engagement related to SDG-7 and its interlinkages with SDG-13 by driving energy transition and climate action at global, regional, and national level. For instance, engage and support global players through a broad range of action-oriented partnerships with partner country governments, development finance institutions, development partners, international organizations, NGOs, CSOs and the private sector. IRSP has also been influencing global fora by providing strategic inputs to workshops, technical papers and the convenings of high-level partners and fora.
Therefore, the activities have ranged from political engagement to national planning/policy support on energy transition. The IRSP is envisaging to provide technical assistance to developing countries in Africa (Ghana, Kenya, Senegal) and Asia (Bangladesh, Indonesia, and Gujarat/Karnataka) for formulating energy transition pathways and eventually are adopted as national/sub-national/sectoral plans.
The objective of energy transition plans is to provide decarbonization pathway that integrates the SDG-7 and SDG-13 goals that would inform the investment and policy gaps to address energy transition readiness and sustainable development. The IRSP is seeking an intern that would be assisting in the initial organizational assessments, country diagnostics and technical partner engagements for the energy transition program delivery.
Duties and Tasks for the Role
The primary duties and tasks of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Support the evaluations and desk research leading to establishment of SEforALL’s energy transition modelling unit for ODA eligible countries
- Support the evaluation of energy and climate modelling tools to be potentially used by SEforALL for energy transition pathways and plans
- Support data collection and quick diagnostics of energy transition opportunities in the 6 identified countries
- Support development of approach paper for developing energy transition plans in 6 identified countries, and potential other countries and support the administrative process for engaging national and international technical partners
- Support the Energy Efficiency for Sustainable Development programme to accelerate energy efficiency progress by elevating the collective effort of Mission Efficiency partners with coordinated tools, approaches and actions in target countries and sectors.
- Support communications and knowledge sharing dialogues on energy transition.
- Support SEforALL outreach efforts and public facing global events (COP, UNGA etc.) on energy transition
Specific Competencies for the Role
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics or Engineering with a specialization in Energy Modelling and Technology analysis or related fields. A Master’s or other advanced degree would be desirable
- Experience in one or more energy modelling tools such as OSEMOSYS, TIMES/MARKAL, LEAP, MESSAGE etc.
- Good knowledge of energy transition and net-zero concepts relating to policies and technology trends
- Excellent research, analysis, presentation and writing skills, including extensive knowledge of MS office, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Python, R or other programming languages to modify or update energy model scripts will be considered as an asset, but not necessary.
- Ability to work with others to create, synthesize and/or share relevant knowledge and to stimulate its use
- A passion for clean energy transition and climate action, particularly for developing countries
- Adheres to high quality standards with tight deadlines in collaboration with a team
- Complete fluency in English with strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Knowledge and ability to work in another language is desirable
Core Competencies for the Role
- Professionalism and Personal Leadership: Demonstrates/safeguards ethics and integrity. Demonstrates corporate knowledge, self-development and initiative-taking. Ability to work in a multi-cultural and international environment based on mutual respect and tolerance. Demonstrates good judgment and discretion when handling sensitive materials. Ability to exercise good judgment, discretion and tact in handling sensitive issues.
- Analysis: Demonstrated excellent research and analytical skills that can be applied to generate knowledge products and support policy making.
- Planning and Organization: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments. Adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently and is able to work to deadlines and maintain effectiveness under pressure. Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to details and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple workflows at the same time. Proactive approach to managing workflow, with keen ability to multi-task and respond quickly and flexibly to a wide range of issues, some of which come up in ad hoc and unexpected ways. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment where adaptability will be a premier and delivery expected.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills and proven document drafting ability; ability to interact with senior level UN staff, with ambassadors, high-level diplomats, and with senior government officials including Prime ministerial and Ministerial level as well as to develop contacts, foster collaboration with UN and with other stakeholders; deliver presentations, advocate for viewpoints and participate actively in internal as well as external debates and negotiations. Ability to craft messages and communiques, and copy edit work to produce effective written communications. Familiarity and appreciation of social media.
- Teamwork: Work with colleagues within SEforALL and with partners in government and organizations. Support colleagues, encourage others to participate in teamwork and share responsibility for decision-making and results. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Support and act in accordance with group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Share credit for team accomplishments and accept joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Demonstrated ability to work with teams representing a wide variety of staffing levels that also cut across agencies and partners, and work without direct authority to deliver timely and high quality products. Strong team player capabilities.
- Personal: Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude. Demonstrates behavior of professional and personal ethics transparency and openness to encourage respect and similar behavior from colleagues in the work place. Sensitivity to other people’s cultural and religious norms and the ability to easily blend with others. Proven ability to be discrete and maintain confidential information. Exhibits diplomacy, loyalty and commitment to SEforALL’s goals. Sense of humor is an advantage.
Salary information: SEforALL interns are provided with a stipend constituted as a daily fee. The amount of the intern’s fee is fixed, and it depends on the duty station. This is meant to provide additional financial support to interns, who remain fully responsible for bearing all their costs related to travel, insurance, accommodation, and living expenses connected to their internship.
Our Values – please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Vienna, Washington DC and New York City, and flexibility and result orientated modern workplace arrangements.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
To receive more opportunities:
Join our WhatsApp group
Join our Telegram group.