Last Chance to Apply for the African Union Vacancy: Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship (US$ 78,138.00 salary+ benefits)
Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship, and Tourism (IMET)
Deadline: 18 May 2023
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Commissioner
Directorate/Department/Organ: Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship and Tourism (IMET)
Number of Direct Reports: 3
Number of Indirect Reports: 15
Job Grade: D1
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship, and Tourism (IMET) Job
The Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship, and Tourism (IMET) will provide strategic leadership and direction for effective and efficient management of the operations of the directorate in the Department of Economic Development, Trade, Tourism, Industry and Minerals (ETTIM) at the AU.
Main Functions of Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship, and Tourism (IMET)
• Ensures the development and maintenance of operating rules and procedures.
• Provides technical leadership and ensure efficient functioning of all Divisions of the Directorate.
• Ensures overall management of the personnel of the directorate, budget, performance, quality, discipline and training in conformity with relevant rules and procedures in force.
• Determines and executes the overall strategy of the Organization.
• Ensures the development and overall oversight of implementation of policy guidelines and frameworks.
• Leads the preparation and oversees integrated programs of overall activities of the division.
• Builds and maintains a strategic plan to form good working relations with other directorates of the department.
• Develops and maintains regular working relations with top level stakeholders in appropriate agencies of Member States and partners.
• Organizes coordination meetings between the directorate and other relevant stakeholders.
• Ensures the timely preparation and submission of periodic financial and budget execution reports and annual financial statements and other reports.
• Oversees the collection of contributed funds to the Organization.
• Initiates and takes necessary actions to collect funds of and for the African Union as a whole.
• Proposes training programmes relating to programme designing and coordination.
• Promotes awareness and training of best practices in area of expertise.
Specific Responsibilities of Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship, and Tourism (IMET)
• Coordinates cooperation programs and activities among Member States, the Regional Economic Communities as well as other pertinent African and international organizations to ensure the maximum impact of their activities on African Industrial Development and Integration within the context of the Agenda 2063, Africa Continental Free Trade Area AfCFTA, the Treaty establishing the African Economic Community, Assembly Decisions on the African Mining Vision (AMV), Action Plan on Accelerated Industrial Development of Africa ( AIDA), Action Plan on Boosting Intra-African Trade and (BIAT) and the Small and Medium Enterprise Strategy (SME);
• Initiates the development of a programme of action on tourism and entrepreneurship development across Africa;
• Coordinates and harmonizes industrial policy measures, strategies and regulatory frameworks across the continent aimed at promoting development of regional and continental value chains, including the production of intermediate goods to harness the raw materials of Africa;
• Promotes industrial technology research and development and its ultimate commercialization as well as development of start-up operations across Africa;
• Promotes the development of industrial, mining and tourism skills across Africa;
• Coordinate continental initiatives on the establishment of technical support centers for SMEs, incubation centers, Special Economic Zones (SEZs), and among others, Industrial Parks;
• Collaborates with Regional Economic Communities and Member States to strengthen capacity and institutional frameworks for industrial development and promote and strengthen Quality, Standardization, Metrology, Certification and Accreditation structures at continental, regional and national levels;
• Collaborate with relevant national, regional and continental and global institutions in the development of intellectual property rights (IPRs) and access to knowledge;
• Leads the development of comprehensive programs to position Africa to benefit from digital economy and the 4th Industrial Revolution;
• Collaborates in the development of reliable and timely industrial, mining, oil and gas as well tourism statistics across Africa;
• Builds and maintains strong relationships with the African Diaspora and global private investors, businesses and institutions, multilateral partners and government agencies to support increased investment flows into Africa;
• Leads the development of comprehensive programs for promoting and strengthening corporate governance across Africa;
• Promotes initiatives for supporting the efforts of Regional Economic Communities and Member States to develop infrastructure in support of industrialization, tourism and minerals development through public-private partnerships;
• Develops programs to mainstream the informal private sector and rural areas as part of the overall strategy to expand the continental organized private sector;
• Performs any other related duties that may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• A Master’s degree in Economics, Business, Finance, International Trade, Engineering or relevant field, with fifteen (15) years of relevant experience in Industrial Development, mineral resource development or entrepreneurship development with progressively responsible positions, of which eight (8) years at managerial level and Five (5) years at supervisory level.
• A higher qualification will be an added advantage.
Required Skills for Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship, and Tourism (IMET) role
• Ability to use managerial, delegation, political, tact and supervisory skills to achieve strategic objectives;
• Ability to work effectively with people from various backgrounds and create an environment where diversity is respected;
• Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with stakeholders;
• Ability to identify and leverage strategic opportunities and risks;
• Ability to actively seek, identify and apply appropriate technology to improve programme delivery;
• Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development; and,
• Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Leadership Competencies for Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship, and Tourism (IMET)
Strategic Risk Management
Core Competencies for Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship, and Tourism (IMET)
.Drives Accountability Culture
.Communicating with impact
Functional Competencies for Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship, and Tourism (IMET)
Drive for Results
ENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship, and Tourism (IMET) appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship, and Tourism (IMET) contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 78,138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum for Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship, and Tourism (IMET) plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications for Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship, and Tourism (IMET) must be made not later than May 18, 2023.
Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the Director Industry, Minerals, Entrepreneurship, and Tourism (IMET) post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Requisition ID: 1641
VISIT THE PAGE HERE AND APPLY
To receive more Opportunities
Join our Whatsapp group
Join our Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: