Call for Expression of Interest – FAO Fellows Programme
: 01/Jan/2024, 12:59:00 AM
Organizational Unit: FAO Regional, Sub-regional, Country, Liaison Offices, and headquarters
: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: FAO Fellows Programme
: Various Locations
Duration: Up to a maximum of 11 months
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) leads international efforts to defeat hunger and to achieve food security for all and to make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives. With 195 Members, FAO works in over 130 countries worldwide. We believe that everyone can play a part in ending hunger.
The FAO Fellows Programme is designed to attract fellows, typically PhD students, researchers and professors, who have an advanced level of relevant technical knowledge and experience in any field of the Organization. They are willing to fulfil their specialized learning objectives and, at the same time, contribute their technical expertise and knowledge through time-bound arrangements with FAO.
Assignments should be in line with the UN Sustainable Development Goals and FAO’s Strategic Framework to support the 2030 Agenda through the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
FAO Fellows Programme Reporting Lines
The fellow will report to an assigned supervisor.
FAO Fellows Programme Technical Focus
The fellow will be assigned to different fields of work according to his/her profile and to the needs of the Organization.
FAO Fellows Programme Tasks and responsibilities
The fellow will perform the functions specified in the Terms of Reference (TOR) prepared by the hiring office.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
FAO Fellows Programme Minimum Requirements
• Graduate or post-graduate degree (Master’s or PhD) or be enrolled in a PhD programme in a “bona fide” educational institution at the time of application or recent graduate. Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/.
• Candidates should have at least two years of relevant working or research experience in one of the fields of the Organization.
• Working knowledge of at least one FAO language (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish). Knowledge of a second FAO language will be considered an asset.
• Be nationals of FAO Members.
• Candidates should be able to adapt to an international multicultural environment and have good communication skills.
FAO Fellows Programme Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
FAO Fellows Programme Technical/Functional Skills
At least two years of relevant working or research experience in one of the fields of the Organization.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
• FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
• Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non- and under-represented Members, as well as candidates from Low-Income Food-Deficit Countries (LIFDCs), Least Developed Countries (LDCs), Land-locked Developing Countries (LLDCs), and Small Island Developing States (SIDS) are encouraged to apply to this Call for Expression of Interest-FAO Fellows Programme.
• All applications will be reviewed, and only qualified applicants will be directly contacted for interviews by the hiring office and contacted again, if selected.
• Selected candidates should have appropriate residence or immigration status in the proposed country of assignment prior to joining the Organization.
• Candidates with family members (defined as mother, father, sister, brother, daughter, or son) employed by FAO under any type of contractual arrangement are not eligible for the Fellows Programme.
• FAO does not provide remuneration to fellows. Fellows should be fully sponsored by an external entity. The name of the sponsoring institution(s) should be mentioned in the application.
HOW TO APPLY
• To apply for the FAO Fellows Programme, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills.
• Candidates are requested to attach a research proposal, the evidence of attendance in a recognized university or copy of academic qualifications to the online profile.
• Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application. Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered.
• Incomplete applications will not be considered.
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile.
• Personal information provided in your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application.
• Candidates who are not selected before the closing date and wish to be continuously considered for an assignment are requested to re-apply to the new Calls.
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org.
Join our WhatsApp group
Join our Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: