Associate Finance Officer, P-2
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Associate Finance Officer, P-2 Job Description
Associate Finance Officer Vacancy Announcement at Secretariat of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
Administration and Management Services (AMS) Division
Deadline For Application: 18 November 2023 (at midnight, Abu Dhabi local Time)
Title and Grade: Associate Finance Officer, P-2
Indicative Annual Salary: (a.) Annual Net Salary: USD 50,377.00 to USD 58,737.00 
(b.) Post Adjustment: USD 38,185.00 to USD 44,522.65 
Duration of Appointment: Two Years, with possible extension
Duty Station: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Entry on Duty: June 2024
Associate Finance Officer, P-2 Duties
The Division of Administration and Management Services is responsible for providing the Secretariat with an efficient support in managing its human and financial resource and ensures effective and timely delivery of Human Resources, Information Technology, Procurement and financial services. Under the overall supervision of the Chief Finance Officer within the Finance Section, the Associate Finance Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Act as the key interlocutor for all Agency bank accounts and banking representatives, including banking, treasury and investments interactions in HQ and outposted offices. Negotiate plausible conditions for Agency, related to current and ongoing operational costs; explore, initiate and lead implementation of bank projects to accommodate Agency needs;
- Supervise the process of timely and accurate disbursement initiation through on-line banking systems and facilitate Payroll disbursements;
- Maintain bank signatory panels for HQ and all duty stations; provide further guidance and training to bank signatories in accordance with Agency rules and regulations;
- Participate and provide support for UN Treasury group related activities;
- Provide direct supervision to Treasury Personnel including but not limited to Performance Appraisal along with extended supervision to Junior Staff Members;
- Monitor investments and related maturity date. Draft proposals on future ensure the competitiveness of interest rates within Agency banks; perform trade related actions ensuring best possible outcomes from Agency bank anticipated exchanged rates;
- Perform all investment related accounting entries in ERP and reconcile investment account balances and investments revenue earned;
- Exercise full responsibility related to all Agency petty cash accounts
- Assume full responsibility of coordinating and reporting on Credit Card usage, including but not limited to, liason with, Credit Card Holders, payments and record keeping, policy guidance, etc. Lead the process of dispute matters related to Credit Card and ensure best possible resolutions;
- Assume full responsibility related to Housing processes in all duty stations. Directly coordinate with Human Resource Section, staff members and landlords on requirements and eligibility. Maintain consolidated Housing deductions schedule for all employees in to be used for Payroll and accounting purposes.
- Draft Note Verbal’s, supporting claims and schedules related to host country housing agreement;
- Manage sublease revenue and other operational costs of New York Office in accordance with agreed terms and conditions, raise invoices in legacy systems and communicate the same with third party representatives;
- Support transactions related to the Staff Provident Fund bank accounts and provide disbursement support reconciliation as required;
- Lead the validation process on VAT claims to Tax Authorities;
- Exercise approval and creation functions related to procurement suppliers in ERP system;
- Assist in the preparation of periodic and annual financial statements; reconcile assigned accounts and prepare notes to support year-end financial statements and audit ;
- Acts as the key business user Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, within the for all treasury transactions and housing entitlements ;
- Reviews and reconciles various clearing accounts to ensure appropriate balances, investigates erroneous/invalid entries and takes appropriate corrective accounting action
- Ensure the adherence to applicable Delegation of Authority, Finance Policy Manual and other internal controls, assist with bank reconciliations;
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Applies knowledge with respect to financial and accounting activities, with a special focus on treasury and investments transactions and reconciliation, in addition to support in the preparation of the annual financial statements and responding to audit inquiries in a timely manner.
Associate Finance Officer Competencies:
- Professionalism: Ability to identify and resolve finance and accounting problems and identify sources for relevant transactions. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning: Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
Associate Finance Officer Qualifications:
Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Professional Accounting certification like CA, ACCA etc considered as asset. Experience: A minimum of two years progressively responsible experience in finance, accounting, administration, budget, business administration or related area.
Language: Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Join our WhatsApp group
Join our Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: