PhD Student (f/m/d) Study of Energy Transition and its Integration in Copper Production for a Sustainable Circular Economy 2022: APPLY NOW!
Apply Now PhD Student (f/m/d) Study of Energy Transition and its Integration in Copper Production for a Sustainable Circular Economy 2022
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR)
Deadline: 18 October 2022
Through cutting-edge research in the fields of ENERGY, HEALTH and MATTER, Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR) solves some of the pressing societal and industrial challenges of our time. Join our 1.400 employees from more than 50 nations at one of our six research sites and help us moving research to the next level!
The Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology (HIF) pursues the objective of developing innovative technologies for the economy so that mineral and metalliferous raw materials can be made available and used more efficiently and recycled in an environmentally friendly manner.
As part of the Institute, the Department of Modelling and Valuation invites applications as PhD Student (f/m/d) Study of Energy Transition and its Integration in Copper Production for a Sustainable Circular Economy.
The PhD student position will be available from 1 December 2022. The employment contract is limited to three years.
- Design process and develop models for the primary and secondary copper production chains using HSC Chemistry software
- Comparison of various secondary copper production routes using key performance indicators (e.g. Techno-economic and LCA) will be performed
- Assess the potential of Power-to-X technology in existing copper production process
- Identify the flexibility, decarbonization and sustainability challenges in integrating different (secondary) copper production systems into a renewable energy mix
- Systematize energy transition-circular economy approach in copper production through optimizing technological, economic, regulatory and societal variables
- Excellent master’s degree in Metallurgical, Chemical engineering or similar discipline
- Solid background in energy transition, circular economy, life-cycle assessment, and process simulation relevant to process metallurgy
- Knowledge on process development as well as conceptual design know how
- Experience in process simulation tool (e.g. Aspen Plus/HSC Chemistry) and data processing tools such as Matlab, Python
- Willingness to learn industry 4.0 concept
- High motivation for pursuing a PhD and experience in scientific writing and publishing
- Experience in cross-cultural and interdisciplinary research projects
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and extensive professional networking opportunities
- A structured PhD program with a comprehensive range of continuing education and networking opportunities – more information about the PhD program at the HZDR can be found here
- The employment contract is limited to three years
- Salary and social benefits in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD-Bund) including 30 days of paid holiday leave, company pension scheme (VBL)
- We support a good work-life balance with the possibility of part-time employment and flexible working hours
- Numerous company health management offerings
- An employer subsidy for the VVO job ticket
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.
To receive more opportunities:
Join our WhatsApp group and Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: