SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship x8 Posts: APPLY NOW!
Call for Applications – SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship (Ghana and Kenya)
Closing date: 27 Apr 2023
Location: Ghana and Kenya
Department: Women and Youth at the Forefront
Duration of SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship assignment: 6 months
Contract type: Full-time Short-Term Contract (Traineeship)
Background About SEforALL
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an international organization working with leaders in government, the private sector and civil society to drive further, faster action toward achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), which calls for universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to limit climate warming to well below 2° Celsius (and striving for 1.5° Celsius).
Achieving these goals will require a radical rethink of the way we produce, distribute and consume energy. SEforALL is at the heart of this foundational shift to ensure no one is left behind. Drawing on data and evidence, we identify a critical path to success in achieving SDG7.
The ambitions of SDG7 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris Agreement on climate change involves transformation at a scale never undertaken before. Swift action must be taken by leaders in governments, private sector companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions, communities, entrepreneurs and civil society.
As we enter the final decade to achieve SDG7, SEforALL has strategically chosen to strengthen global agenda-setting while expanding its activities to an engagement model that prioritizes data-driven decision-making, partnerships with high-impact countries and implementation on the ground. SEforALL’s current three-year business plan outlines “results offers” that scope out our planned interventions and demonstrate to our funding partners the impact of their support.
Context/Objectives of SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship
The just and equitable energy transition cannot be achieved and sustained without ensuring gender equality. The global energy access gap is gendered, and women and girls disproportionately bear the burden of the every-day consequences of energy poverty. At the same time, women are under-represented in the energy sector, from entry- and mid-level positions to boardrooms. A recent IRENA survey of the renewable energy workforce highlighted that only 32 percent of employees are women.
As a result, women are less likely to have a voice in the policy and decision-making that affects them. SEforALL’s Women and Youth at the Forefront (WYFF) programme centers women and youth in the just and equitable energy transition by supporting their entry into and career progression within the sector, as well as empowering the next generation of women and youth leaders.
Duties and Tasks for the SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship Role
As part of the SEforALL Technical Training programmes aimed at establishing training for employment programmes to train youth, particularly women; and prepare them for careers in the sustainable energy sector, the Women at the Forefront (WYFF) team in collaboration with the Energy Transition Department will implement a SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship programme for young graduates particularly women around key worksteams underway in Ghana and Kenya.
Through the collaboration, SEforALL is looking to recruit 8 recent graduates: 4 per country over a 6-month period. The SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship and work shadow programme is aimed at training youth to prepare them for careers in the sustainable energy sector. The SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship will be carried out through a series of workshops, participation in key tasks and by shadowing SEforALL staff in-country.
The SEforALL STEM Technical traineeship will focus on the following areas:
- Themes: Energy Access and Energy Transition
- Energy solutions: Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency
- Energy services: Clean Cooking, Cooling for All, Powering Healthcare
- Enabling approaches: Energy Finance, International Relations, Policies,
- Intelligence approaches: Research, Energy Modelling, Communications
- Professional development: Leadership, Networking, Stakeholder Engagement
Qualifications and Experience Required for the SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship
- Applicants must be 18-35 years of age.
- To support bringing “Women at the Forefront”, female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- A recent Bachelors or Master’s degree (within the past 2 years) in a STEM field (e.g., sciences, renewable energy, engineering, or related area).
- Have 1-3 years of professional experience in energy, climate, engineering or similar field.
- Must demonstrate completion of technical courses related to the topics covered in the SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship programme as highlighted above.
- Highly professional, punctual, and willing and able to learn new skills.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- Must be available for the entire duration of the SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship programme.
- Must currently reside in Ghana or Kenya respectively and be a national or legal resident.
Core Competencies for the SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship Role
- Professionalism and Personal Leadership: Demonstrates and safeguards ethics and integrity. Demonstrates corporate knowledge, self-development and initiative-taking. Ability to work in a multi-cultural and international environment based on mutual respect and tolerance. Ability to exercise good judgment, discretion and tact in handling sensitive issues. Willingness to “get the job” done with a positive attitude to take on a wide range of tasks.
- Planning and Organization: Identifies priority activities and assignments. Adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently and is able to work to deadlines and maintain effectiveness under pressure. Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to details and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple workflows at the same time. Proactive approach to managing workflow, with keen ability to multi-task and respond quickly and flexibly to a wide range of issues, some of which come up in ad hoc and unexpected ways.
- Communication and Teamwork: Excellent communication skills and proven drafting ability; ability to develop relationships, foster collaboration within the team and with other stakeholders, develop presentations, draft speaking notes, prepare meeting briefs and advocate for viewpoints.
- Analysis and Creativity: Demonstrated excellent analytical skills that can be applied to gather data, analyze and generate knowledge relevant to decision-making functions. Ability to summarize and present key-findings. Share knowledge and show initiative to improve existing practices.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of relevant available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology in the context of sustainable development; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate.
Application Instructions for SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship:
Please make sure that your application includes the following information and documents:
- A detailed CV (attached to your application online)
- We recommend candidates include a cover letter on why they should be considered for the opportunity (attached to your application online)
Terms and conditions: The SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship is designed to provide a training opportunity complemented by on-the-job learning, as opposed to a typical SEforALL internship. Trainees will be provided with a fixed stipend to facilitate participation in the programme. Trainees will remain fully responsible for bearing all their costs related to travel, insurance, accommodation, and living expenses connected to their traineeship.
Our Values – please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
Note on the selection process: Depending on the quality of applications received, SEforALL plans to select up to 8 qualified candidates for the Traineeship
Your data will not be passed on to third parties outside SEforALL. We will only use your data to the extent necessary for the purposes of selecting personnel in accordance with the applicable data protection regulations. We will only disclose your personal information if we are required to do so by a court´s or administrative authority´s decision. In such a case, we will inform you as soon as possible of such an order so that you can take legal action against it if necessary. Please email to email@example.com if you require updates to your information in accordance with Art. 5 lit. d of the GDPR.
Click here to apply for SEforALL STEM Technical Traineeship
To receive more Opportunities
Join our Whatsapp group
Join our Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: