The VU Fellowship Programme (VUFP) offers talented prospective non- EU/ EEA students the unique opportunity to pursue a Master’s degree at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. VU Amsterdam has committed to providing approximately 1 million euros towards attracting highly motivated and excellent students.
VU Fellowship Programme Eligible candidates
- You hold a non- EU/ EEA passport and you are not eligible for the lower tuition fee.
- You do not have the Dutch nationality.
- You can prove your academic excellence (GPA equivalent to a Dutch 8).
- You are conditionally or unconditionally admitted to the first year of a full-time English-taught Master’s programme at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam starting per September 2024. Please note that:
- students starting in February cannot apply,
- joint programmes where VU Amsterdam does not administer the admission process are excluded from VU Fellowship Programme.
- The degree with which you are seeking admission has not been obtained in the Netherlands.
- You do not need to complete a preparatory programme before the start of your Master.
VU Fellowship Programme and 2 year programmes
The VU Fellowship Programme scholarship can be granted for a one or two-year Master’s programme. The scholarship will only be extended for the second year of a two-year Master’s programme if 100% of the ECTS of the first year have been achieved.
Students already enrolled in a two-year Master’s programme who have not been awarded the VUFP scholarship in 2023/2024 are not eligible to apply for the VU Fellowship Programme scholarship for 2024/2025.
The VU Fellowship Programme scholarship covers the tuition fees only. It does not provide any additional allowance towards study or living costs, like rent, food, insurances. Be aware that you must be able to finance these living expenses by yourself.
Combining the VU Fellowship Programme with the NL Scholarship (formerly Holland Scholarship Programme)
When applying for the VUFP scholarship, you automatically also apply for the NL Scholarship(formerlyHSP). No separate application is necessary.
NL Scholarship is a contribution towards the costs of living. It is 5.000 EUR or 10.000 EUR for the entire duration of your study period. Please note:
- The NL Scholarship is awarded only for the first year of your study programme. You will not receive the NL Scholarship for the second year of your studies even if you are following a two-year study programme.
- We have around 20- 25 HSP scholarships available. Only a few of the VUFP awardees will get the NL Scholarship.
VU Fellowship Programme Application procedure
Step 1: Register for a Master’s programme (from 1 October 2023)
Register for a Master’s programme in Studielink and after that in your personal dashboard on vu.nl. Here you can find more information on how to apply for one of our English-taught Master’s programmes. Please note that you must have been already conditionally admitted to the Master’s programme before you can apply for the VUFP scholarship.
Advised deadline Master’s programme application: 1 December 2023
It is essential that you submit your programme application in time if you wish to apply for the scholarships. Realistically, you should aim to submit your programme application no later than 1 December. And if your programme’s admission procedure includes an intake/assessment, we advise you to submit your complete programme application even earlier.
Step 2: Submit VUFP application (from 1 November 2023)
Submit your VUFP application in your personal VU dashboard.
Please note that you can apply for the VUFP only for one master programme! This means that if you apply for several master degrees, when submitting your VUFP application you must choose for which master programme you wish to do so.
Deadline VUFP application: 1 February 2024 (23:59 CET)
To apply please fill out this form and at the end of it paste the GPA proof/ programme transcript and a grading scale explanation. Once done, save it as a one file in .PDF format and upload it in the Scholarship section of your personal dashboard on vu.nl (located on the Complete Registration page).
Answer all questions and include the GPA proof/ programme transcript. Not answering one or more questions or not including the GPA proof/ programme transcript will result in your application being considered incomplete.
Please note that you can submit your application only once. Make sure to double check if your application is complete and sufficient before submitting it. You will not be allowed to submit it again!
Extra information regarding proof of excellence (programme transcript or a GPA proof) and a grading scale
Please upload the transcript and grading scale of your bachelor’s degree with a clear explanation of the GPA calculation. Excellence in previous (bachelor) education is proven if the grade point average achieved is at least equivalent to the Dutch grade of an 8.0 on the Dutch grading scale 1 – 10.
You do not need to convert your grades to the Dutch ones. The VUFP Scholarship Committee will do that by deciding on the local grade equivalents for the Dutch grade of an 8.0.
Join our WhatsApp group
Join our Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: