The Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) 2024 application is now open!
Deadline: 11:59 PM ET on 25 January 2024
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa. Following the program, students will be paired with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process.
Over the course of the program, when YYAS takes place online or in-residence, participants will utilize various online platforms, including Zoom, to engage in seminars, lectures, and conversations. All relevant program information will be communicated directly to admitted participants.
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is a proud member of the HALI Access Network and continues to enjoy support from The Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies at Yale. YYAS was modeled off its sister program, Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS), and continues to operate under its umbrella.
In order to apply to YYAS, applicants MUST fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Age: You must be between the ages of 14-18 years old on 18 July 2024 in order to be considered (i.e. born between 19 July 2005 and 18 July 2010). Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 16-17.
- English: You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- School location: You must currently attend school in an African country.
- Grade Level: You must be a current 10th or 11th grade student (or the international equivalents).
- Graduation date: If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest May/June 2025 and no later than May/June 2026. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2024 and no later than November/December 2025.
If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
If you are a YYAS or YYGS alumnus/a, you may NOT apply or reapply for YYAS. (*However, if you are a YYAS alumnus/a, you can apply to YYGS if eligible.)
HOW TO APPLY
Join our Whatsapp group
Join our Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: