DEADLINE TO APPLY IS TODAY! THE ALEXANDER VON HUMBOLDT FOUNDATION INTERNATIONAL CLIMATE PROTECTION FELLOWSHIP(FULLY FUNDED) 2023-2024 IN GERMANY
Apply now for the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation International Climate Protection Fellowship (Fully Funded) for prospective leaders and postdocs in Germany.
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
non-European developing or transition country
Application Deadline: 1 February 2023
Are you working academically or practically in climate protection or climate-relevant resource conservation in your home country – a non-European developing or transition country (see list of countries, PDF)? Then we invite you to apply for an International Climate Protection Fellowship from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
If you are a prospective leader you will do a one-year research-related project in Germany as part of your fellowship; if you are a postdoc, long-term academic research (12-24 months). It should focus on combating climate change, adaptation strategies, preserving ecosystems and biodiversity, or on the sustainable use of the seas and oceans. Sustainability topics relating to natural resources, resource-efficient consumption or urban development are also welcome.
We award up to 15 International Climate Protection Fellowships to prospective leaders and up to five to postdoctoral researchers each year. The fellowships are funded through the International Climate Initiative of the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Nuclear Safety and Consumer Protection (BMUV).
- Programme information (PDF, 140 KB)
- Programme information for postdocs (PDF, 141 KB)
- Advice on finding a host
- Information for hosts
- Information on letters of recommendation
- Climate Protection Fellows in portrait
- Recently selected fellows
The closing date for the current application round is 1 February 2023.
The fellowship facilitates the mutual exchange of knowledge, methods and techniques with hosts in Germany; this also extends to questions of practical applicability in your country of origin. We offer you
- a monthly fellowship of €2,170, €2,470 or €2,670 in the programme line for prospective leaders – depending on your training and career level; a monthly fellowship of €2,670 in the programme line for postdoctoral researchers
- individual support during your stay in Germany
- additional financial support for example for accompanying family members, for travel expenses, for full private health insurance or for a German language course
- a three-week introductory event where you can connect with other climate protection fellows, visit businesses and research institutions, and attend cultural events in Germany
- extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany over the duration of your entire professional career
Host institutes receive a monthly allowance for research costs of 800 euros for projects in the natural and engineering sciences or 500 euros for projects in the humanities and social sciences.
You must meet the following criteria/What is required of you
As future decision-makers and multipliers, you aim to take on the global challenge of climate change through international, cross-border cooperation. The International Climate Protection Fellowship is designed for prospective leaders and postdoctoral researchers. We invite you to apply for an International Climate Protection Fellowship if you
- explore questions in the natural or engineering sciences or address legal, economic, health-related or societal aspects of climate change
- are a citizen of a non-European developing or transition country (see list of countries, PDF) and have been predominantly living and working there
- have initial experience in a leadership role and corresponding leadership skills
- have very good knowledge of English and/or German
In addition, you meet the following criteria as a prospective leader or postdoctoral researcher:
Did you complete your first academic degree (Bachelor or comparable degree) during the last 12 years (cut-off date is the appication deadline on 1 February)? Do you have extensive professional experience, at least 48 months at the application deadline? If so, apply for an International Climate Protection Fellowship.
Did you complete your first academic degree (Bachelor or comparable degree) during the last 12 years (cut-off date is the application deadline on 1 February)? Additionally, did you complete your doctorate no more than four years ago by the application deadline (1 February) or will you complete it until 31 August of the respective selection year? Have you published in academic journals and publishing houses that are reviewed according to international standards? If so, apply for an International Climate Protection Fellowship for postdoctoral researchers.
How to apply
Before applying, you should agree the details of your independently developed research-based project with your chosen academic host.
Please submit the necessary application documents to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only.
- research-based project: Outline the project you have developed yourself and agreed with your intended host prior to applying. Bear in mind that the following criteria are important for selection: a convincing choice of methods; clear focus and feasibility; relevance to the fields of climate protection or climate-relevant resource conservation; feasibility of conducting the project at the chosen host institution; practicability of the communication strategy
- extensive statement including confirmation of support from your host in Germany
- two letters of recommendation (not more than 12 months old) from individuals who can provide information on your professional, personal and/or academic background
The online application form contains links where the letters of recommendation and statements can be uploaded. Please forward these links to the relevant individuals as soon as possible. We will send you a confirmation e-mail as soon as we have received all the required documents. If you have any doubts or questions, please contact us by e-mail (info[at]avh.de) before submitting your application. We are happy to help.
Register now and apply online or continue processing your application.
Application and selection procedure:
Applications can only be submitted online. The completed application form, including the necessary additional documents, must be submitted not later than 1 February 2023.
Visit the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s website for further information on the online application process and all necessary documents as well as access to the online application system. A confirmation of receipt will be issued immediately after the application has been submitted. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their documents are complete. Incomplete applications will be excluded from the selection procedure. The expert reviews and the host’s confidential statement must be uploaded by their authors directly to the applicant’s online application form.
The applicant will send the link needed to access the application form via e-mail to the designated persons. It is only possible to submit the application once all documents have been uploaded completely. After reviewing the applications, an independent selection committee will decide, by the end of June 2023, which candidates will be invited to participate virtually in a selection meeting in Germany lasting several days. The committee is composed of academics and practitioners working in the relevant fields.
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation usually also obtains independent peer reviews. The selection meeting will take place in September 2023 and applicants will be given the opportunity to outline their proposal to the selection committee and the other applicants as well as to attend individual interviews held by the selection committee. The selection results will be announced at the end of the meeting. Further information on the selection procedure can be found in the FAQs on the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s website.
To receive more opportunities:
Join our WhatsApp group and Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: