2023 United Nations ECA Fellowship Programme for Young African Professionals (3,000USD Monthly stipend): DEADLINE IS TODAY, APPLY NOW!
Apply for 2023 United Nations ECA Fellowship Programme for Young African Professionals (3,000USD Monthly stipend)
(Multiple positions at multiple duty stations)
Application deadline: 26 January 2023 at 11:59 p.m. Addis Ababa time
United Nations ECA Fellowship Programme for Young African Professionals
ECA is the regional arm of the United Nations in Africa. Its mandate is to promote the economic
and social development of Africa. ECA’s dual role as a regional arm of the UN, and a part of the
regional institutional landscape in Africa, positions it well to make unique contributions to member
States’ efforts to address their development challenges.
ECA has five sub-regional offices plus African Institute for Economic Development and Planning, (IDEP) across the Continent through which it supports regional development priorities and agenda and African countries in the realization of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Agenda 2030 and Agenda 2063 of the African Union.ECA’s mission is to deliver ideas and actions for an empowered and transformed Africa; informed by the 2030 Agenda and Agenda 2063.
The mission is guided by the five strategic directions of the institution, which are; advancing ECA’s position as a premier knowledge institution in supporting evidence based policy making,; developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for infrastructure, human, physical and social assets for transforming Africa; promoting regional integration and addressing transboundary issues and challenges,; advocating Africa’s position at the global level nand developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance issues.
As a foremost knowledge policy institution in Africa, ECA seeks to engage bright young Africans
for skills and capacity development, training and mentorship through a fellowship programme
within ECA’s work programme. This fellowship initiative is in line with the Commission’s effort
to assist member States develop their capacities in economic and social policy research,
development, implementation, analysis, governance, and monitoring and evaluation.
The ECA Fellowship Programme aims at developing a new crop of young African intellectuals with strong policy making knowledge and capacity in supporting African countries in the process of economic and social transformation and development.
ECA is hereby inviting applications from qualified young African Professionals in the following
- Macroeconomic policy, development planning, Economic Governance & Public Finance;
- Industrialization and Economic Diversification Policies;
- Regional Integration; Infrastructure and Trade
- Private Sector Development & Finance, including Innovative Finance & Capital Markets;
- Poverty, Inequality and social policy;
- Food systems and food security
- Gender equality and women empowerment;
- Demographic Dynamics for Development;
- Innovation and Technology;
- Climate Change &Management of Natural Resources, including Green Economy;
- Labor Economics and Employment
- Communication and strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation;
This Fellowship programme aims to provide practical, on-the-job experience to the young
professionals in their early and middle career in the academy, public sector or international
development in providing them exposure and learning in a multicultural environment of the UN
and contribute to the work of ECA.
It will also provide the candidates with the opportunity to familiarize with the Commission’s broad programmes and services to member States and subregional bodies in addressing economic and social dimensions of Africa’s development priorities. This should expectedly improve their skills, capacity and intellectual ability.
Within delegated authority, the Fellows will be responsible for the following duties:
- The Fellow(s) will agree to a work programme in the area of economic and social developmentdefined mutually with the receiving/mentoring Division, Sub-Regional Office or Centre.
- The fellow(s) will contribute to the work of the Division, Sub-Regional Office or Centre by carryingout research, analytical studies, drafting reports and supporting other activities, as directed.Assignments within the areas of focus may include, but are not limited to, collecting, evaluating, interpreting, and analyzing economic, social and political development issues in the focus areas.
- The fellow(s) will also contribute to technical and policy reports, briefing notes, and support in the organization and servicing of expert group meetings, workshops, and seminars; and fulfil various other administrative tasks for the effective delivery of the activities.
- The fellow(s) will be required to prepare a research paper and make presentation on it in the course of their fellowship.
Professionalism: In-depth knowledge and understanding of socio-economic and political
development issues; conceptual and strategic ability to analyze and evaluate critical matters
pertaining to socio-economic and political issues in Africa including ability to translate
development-related data/information into policy relevant analyses; ability to undertake research
with limited supervision; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing
deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows
persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of
women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets
messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest
in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience;
demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed. Ability to presenthigh-level papers to peers and stakeholders, both at the institutional, regional and international
level, both orally and in writing, in a clear, concise style.
Team work: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input
by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team
agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even
when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments
and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Ability to establish and maintain effective
working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and respect for
Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s Degree or doctorate or their equivalents) in
economics, development studies, political economy, international affairs, political and social
sciences, , peace and human security, public administration, law, minerals and natural resources,
engineering, and related field is required.
Experience: Academic research or academic work related to the focus thematic areas is required.
Experience in research/analytical work in socio-economic and political development, natural
resource management/law, regional integration, infrastructure development, governance, peace
and related areas in the context of Africa, either in the academia, private, public or civil society
organizations, is an advantage.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For
the fellowship advertised, fluency in either language is required and working knowledge of the
other is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Conditions of Fellowship
The following conditions will apply:
1. The candidate applying for this fellowship programme must be 35 years of age or below,
at the time of the application;
2. The candidate must be a national of a member State of the Economic Commission for
3. The candidate must have graduated before 1 October 2022 from either a master’s degree
or doctorate degree programme, or equivalent;
4. The candidate should have interest in one or more of the identified thematic areas;
5. The selected candidate will work on a predefined project, designed to contribute to specific
aspects of the work programme of the mentoring Division, Sub-Regional Office or ECA
Centres, and contribute to other activities;
6. The selected candidate should participate in national, regional or international meetings as
assigned for exposure;
7. The selected candidate should submit and present at a seminar a peer reviewed research
paper at the end of the assignment; and
8. The selected candidate will be part of an alumni association of ECA Fellows and member
of practicing international development “community of practice”.
1. The selected Fellows must be available to travel to the assigned duty station as may be
decided by ECA after the selection process;
2. The selected Fellows will receive a return air ticket between his/her country of residence
and the assigned duty station;
3. The selected Fellows will receive a one-off settling-in grant of USD 3,000 (for fellows
recruited from outside of the duty station) and a monthly stipend of USD 3,000 each for
the duration of the fellowship. Note that the final month stipend will only be paid upon
A peer-reviewed fellowship research paper,
A comprehensive fellowship report, an approved final performance evaluation of
A completed fellowship programme evaluation form and
An exit boarding pass or immigration stamp showing that the fellow has departed
the duty station and returned back to his/her home country, where both are not the
same, at the end of the fellowship programme.
4. The fellowship program is for six months but may be extended for a maximum of another
Application deadline: 26 January 2023 at 11:59 p.m. Addis Ababa time
Download the form here
To receive more opportunities:
Join our WhatsApp group
Join our Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: