26 Mar 2023
South or Southeast Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa
Regional Director, Africa and Asia Overview
SEforALL’s strategic and operational priorities include deepening country-level impact, implementing a more holistic ‘offer’ of support to partner governments, as well as building in-country presence such as in Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Ghana, Indonesia and potentially other countries in Africa and Asia. To provide coordination and oversight of this country engagement and implementation work, SEforALL is creating two new positions of Regional Director, Africa and Regional Director, Asia.
Objectives of the Results Offer
SEforALL’s long-term strategy to accelerate progress on closing the energy access gap by 2030 and enabling the just and equitable energy transition by 2050 requires:
- Building international ambition through energy diplomacy, strategic communications and mobilizing global coalitions to finance and deliver energy access solutions and a just and equitable energy transition in emerging markets to achieve SDGs 7 and 13, in order to significantly reduce carbon emissions, provide jobs and improve livelihoods.
- Supporting national action in target countries by ensuring they have the knowledge, tools and resources to design and implement more effective interventions, focusing on driving innovation and promoting best practices, particularly as it relates to data, policy, finance, and business models.
- Demonstrating the effectiveness of national-scale transformational energy access and transition programs and the replicability and impact of such programs.
Purpose/Objective of the Regional Director role
The objective of this role is to support on-ground, high-level engagement with governments and other stakeholders in Asian and African countries, including (i) providing management, oversight and coordination of SEforALL country managers and country-level workstreams and activities; and (ii) cultivating new opportunities for SEforALL to support countries in achieving SDG7 and a clean energy transition.
To achieve these aims, the Regional Director is expected to build a strong SEforALL presence across Africa and Asia through the development of collaborative relationships with key governments as well as with other partners and agencies working in Africa and Asia. The Regional Director, Asia or Regional Director, Africa will also be expected to help lay the groundwork for building political will in governments and to prioritize and implement actions to achieve universal energy access and advance a just and equitable clean energy transition.
Main duties and tasks of the role
The main duties and tasks of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Develop an over-arching regional strategy which reflects the value proposition of SEforALL, as well as specific opportunities for SEforALL to provide country-level support through its various programmes.
- Support coordination across the range of SEforALL activities and build support for implementation of key actions and recommendations in Asian countries.
- Manage SEforALL’s Asia-based and Africa-based country managers and ensure a comprehensive and effective offering of support to advance country SDG7 and energy transition ambitions.
- Oversee development of country strategies for SEforALL engagement and implementation of an appropriate bespoke package of programmes and activities to support country ambition towards achievement of SDG7 and clean energy transitions.
- Identify key public sector partners and stakeholders for SEforALL engagement and partnership, establishing focal points across various relevant authorities (e.g. energy, health, education and possibly agriculture).
- Identify key private sector and financial partners and stakeholders for SEforALL engagement and partnership, establishing focal points and proactively building partnerships that support increased levels of investment in Asia and Africa, initiating coordination platforms where appropriate.
- Stay abreast of market trends and policy developments related to sustainable energy in Asia and Africa, providing advice to the organization (including the CEO/SRSG) on strategic opportunities identified.
- Provide thought leadership and advice on overall narratives and talking points for CEO/SRSG in external engagements and communications.
- Help facilitate country due diligence as needed in collaboration with the SEforALL’s UEF Programme Management team to support expansion of the UEF into new countries in Africa and Asia.
- Manage the Africa and Asia strategy’s overall workplan and budget as appropriate as well as actively project manage the effective and timely delivery of all Africa/Asia related outputs and activities under grants and programme funds, in partnership with SEforALL grant managers.
- Collaborate closely with SEforALL’s Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) team and other teams to ensure SEforALL’s Asia/Africa strategy informs, supports and is aligned with SEforALL’s overall mission and strategy.
- Working with the MEL team, develop and track appropriate KPIs and develop timely and accurate reports for donors and other MEL activities.
- Collaborate closely with the Communications team to actively identify opportunities and craft internal and external communications to build awareness of SEforALL’s work and engagement in Asia/Africa and of overall progress of Asian or African countries towards achieving SDG7 and clean energy transitions.
- Undertake and support fundraising activities for regional work programmes.
- Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing in own work area to bring about awareness and understanding, as well as utilise SEforALL systems and process to share the knowledge, e.g. Salesforce.
- Other tasks and duties as may be required.
Specific Competencies for the Role
- Advanced university degree in energy, business management, policy, economics, engineering, or a closely related field.
- Minimum of 15 years of hands-on experience in the energy sectorin Asia.
- In-depth knowledge of Asia’s and Africa’s power sector and energy access challenges.
- Significant experience with government engagement and relationship building across multiple stakeholders, including the private sector and the financial community.
- Experience negotiating and managing complex, multi-stakeholder projects and partnerships.
- Ability to manage and drive regional and programmatic implementation under limited supervision
- Strong leadership and people management and team working skills to build and motivate individuals and teams in order to deliver objectives.
- Sound diplomatic judgment for managing different relationships at senior levels.
- Strong monitoring, evaluation and learning, and reporting skills
- Complete fluency in English with strong written and verbal communication skills, with strong preference for fluency in Mandarin and French as well.
- Experience in operating across multiple time zones and with distributed teams.
- Willingness to work in a multicultural and diverse organisation.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
General Competences for the Role
- Innovation and Adaptability: Has expert skills in innovation and adaptability. Builds systems and processes that encourage innovation. Drives a culture of innovation across functional/business units. Is able to adapt functional/business units’ strategies. Flexible to evolving circumstances, as well as proactively helps others in doing so.
- Resilience and Emotional Intelligence: Takes the necessary actions to ensure that the work of the functional / business units is realised and that its employees are able to overcome the challenges that are presented to them. Makes decisions in the best interest of the organisation and functional / business units and remains committed to seeing them through.
- Analytical and Strategic Thinking: Has an expert level of analytical and strategic thinking skills. Has an in-depth understanding and overview of the business environment. Takes an analytical approach to building strategies in functional / business units and translates them into long-term strategies.
- Collaboration and Partnership: Motivates staff and fosters a collaborative approach across the organisation. Builds high-level networks and partnerships in support of functional/business units’ programmes and priorities as well as contributes to organisation wide priorities. Advises Leadership team/CEO on valuable operational strategic, technical and financial partnerships with relevant stakeholders. Actively promotes and seeks to build and maintain effective relationships at all levels inside and outside the organisation.
- Lead and Empower: Understands clearly their people leadership role. Serves as a role model and fosters a work climate that empowers others. Provides clear direction to functional/business units. Highly effective at leading the organisation in the agreed strategic direction, whilst prioritising empowerment, coaching, mentorship and performance management of others.
- Political and diplomatic understanding: Has an expert level of political and diplomatic understanding and serves as a role model. Promotes political and diplomatic understanding in the functional/business units. Uses high level of tact when dealing with important stakeholders /partners /officials.
- Communicating information: Has expert skills in communicating information. Serves as a role model in communicating information. Encourages open communication and builds consensus. Provides constructive feedback to the team.
- Research and Analytics: Has expert skills in research and analytics. Reviews and analyses the functional business unit’s direction according to emerging trends and feedback. Makes rational judgments and derives decisions from the available information and analysis.
- Project Management: Has expert skills in project management. Manages and or coordinates projects and programmes, usually organisation wide. Works towards organisation-wide efficiency with regard to strengthening and harmonizing planning systems and capacities. Has the ability to identify and organize objectives, tasks and resources. Monitors progress, risks and contingency plans along with budgets and timelines. Actively promotes use of project management as a tool to enhance efficiency.
- Client Orientation/Striving for Excellence: Has expert skills in client orientation and in achieving excellency in work delivery. Proactively identifies solutions for clients and stakeholders. Advises senior leadership in identifying long-term and mutually beneficial solutions for both clients and the organisation.
Please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Vienna, Washington DC and New York City, and flexibility and result orientated modern workplace arrangements.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
Checkout the Regional Director positions below:
To receive more Opportunities
Join our WhatsApp group
Join our Telegram group.