Donor Communications Specialist (STC)
28 Mar 2023
Vienna (Austria), New York (United States) or remote. Preference for location between EDT and CET time zones.
Duration of assignment
Until 31 January 2024 with possibility to extend
Full-time Short-term Consultant
Context and Objective of Donor Communications Specialist Assignment
SEforALL is dedicated to addressing the interconnected energy, climate and development themes that are critical to achieving a sustainable and equitable future. In a rapidly changing world, storytelling has become an increasingly powerful tool for engaging and inspiring audiences, and this role will play a key part in ensuring that our organization is able to communicate impact.
The Donor Communications Specialist consultant will work closely with the Resource Mobilization team to create compelling written stories about our recent work, its impact and lessons learned that can engage and inform prospective donors and partners. This work will include our in-country programmes (e.g. powering healthcare, results-based financing, integrated energy planning, energy transition planning) as well as international initiatives (e.g. our work with UN-Energy and successive G20 and COP Presidencies).
This content, which will be published on our website and/or in donor newsletters, will be designed to help strengthen understanding of SEforALL’s work and increase its visibility among key foundations, governments, companies and financial institutions. This will in turn help us to build our reputation for impact, which will be crucial in ensuring SEforALL’s continued success and growth.
The successful candidate will have a passion for storytelling, a strong understanding of the sector in which SEforALL’s mission and values operates, and the ability to engage and inspire a variety of audiences on energy, climate and development. Creativity, innovation, and the ability to think outside the box are necessary, as well as a talent for capturing and communicating the essence of a story in a way that resonates with donors and supporters.
If you are a talented storyteller with a passion for making a difference in the energy, climate and development space, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity and to join our team at SEforALL.
Duties and Accountabilities of Donor Communications Specialist
The main responsibilities include:
- Work as part of the Resource Mobilization team and in close collaboration with colleagues in our Communications and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) teams to integrate storytelling into all fundraising efforts, including donor newsletters, grant proposals, donor appeals, and donor meetings.
- Create, develop and deliver a minimum of 12 engaging written stories on SEforALL programmes and initiatives for publication online and/or in donor-facing newsletters, together with supporting content for social media.
- Develop a strong understanding of the organization’s mission and key messages, and use this knowledge to craft impactful stories that resonate with donors and supporters.
- Collaborate with SEforALL programmes and external stakeholders and partners to gather information and identify stories that can be used to promote the organization and its programmes.
- Stay up-to-date with fundraising trends and best practices, and use this knowledge to continuously improve SEforALL’s storytelling efforts.
- Manage and maintain a database of stories and other relevant materials.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of our donor communication efforts and make recommendations for improvement.
- Provide support as needed with proposal generation (grant writing) including production of original content as well as copy editing.
- Support other content generation tasks as may be required, including annual report drafting and reporting against funding to donors.
Specific Competencies for the Donor Communications Specialist Role
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as English, Communications, Marketing or Journalism
- A minimum of 5-10 years of experience in storytelling, communications, or marketing.
- A strong understanding of the key themes underpinning climate, energy and development efforts internationally gained through working for (or consulting to) analogous international organizations, governments, civil society institutions, media and/or corporations in the sector.
- Exceptionally strong written communication skills, with a talent for capturing and communicating the essence of a story and communicating technical work in non-technical language.
- Ability to engage and inspire a variety of audiences, including donors, stakeholders, and the public.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Knowledge of fundraising best practices and trends. Strong interpersonal and team collaboration skills.
- Creative, innovative and able to think outside the box.
- Proficiency in video production software and equipment is welcome, including filming, editing, and post-production techniques, to craft top-notch video content for a variety of platforms.
General Competencies for the Donor Communications Specialist Role
- Planning and Organization: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments. Adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently and is able to work to deadlines and maintain effectiveness under pressure. Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to details and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple workflows at the same time. Proactive approach to managing workflow, with keen ability to multi-task and respond quickly and flexibly to a wide range of issues, some of which come up in ad hoc and unexpected ways.
- Writing and Research Skills: Excellent written, synthesis and research skills, including drafting ability and extensive knowledge of word processing and application of software package as databases and Power Point Presentations;
- Communication: Excellent communication skills in speaking and writing; ability to develop contacts, foster collaboration with internal as well as external stakeholders, deliver presentations, advocate for viewpoints and participate actively in internal as well as external debates and negotiations. Ability to craft messages and communiques, and copy edit work to produce flawless written communications is required.
- Learning Culture: Encourages a learning culture by seeking out and being open to feedback, as well as effectively mentoring others, on how to improve contribution and impact through continuous learning and knowledge acquisition.
- Analysis and Innovation: Demonstrated excellent numerical and analytical skills that can be applied to gather data and generate knowledge relevant to decision-making functions. Capability and easiness to work with numbers, calculate, and analyze data as well as the ability to summarize and present key-findings. Inspires and influences others to drive innovation. Inspires others to develop new solutions that have a development impact and advocates for changes and application of new methods to enhance results.
- Technological Awareness: Excellent e-skills, including the ability to use modern office technology and related software. Practical knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software is required. Ability to do internet research, compile information and find solutions on-line to address information gaps is essential.
- Teamwork: Works within the team as well as with colleagues across work units. Supports colleagues, establishes a team culture, encourages others to participate in teamwork and share responsibility for decision-making and results. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Demonstrated ability to work with teams representing a wide variety of staffing levels that also cut across agencies and partners, and work without direct authority to deliver timely and high-quality products. Strong team player capabilities.
Our Values – please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
Salary information: The successful candidate will be offered an all-in daily rate determined depending on qualifications and experience, and applying the principle of internal equity.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
To receive more Opportunities
Join our WhatsApp group
Join our Telegram group.