IEA Internship offer: Energy Policy Data Analyst
Energy Modelling Office, Energy Demand Outlook Division
About the International Energy Agency
The International Energy Agency (IEA) is an intergovernmental organisation committed to advancing
security of energy supply, economic growth and environmental sustainability through energy policy co-
operation. The IEA operates as an autonomous body within the framework of the Organisation for
Economic Co-operation and Development.
As a core component of its mandate, the IEA delivers a broad portfolio of policy analysis, modelling and
data output to monitor developments in the energy sector and to provide to governments a sound basis
for policy decisions.
The IEA Energy demand Outlook Division in the Sustainable Technology and Outlooks Directorate
seeking an Energy Policy Data Analyst Intern to support the automated monitoring of global energy policies and projects. Within the Tracking Sustainable Transitions (TST) Unit, the Energy Policy Data Analyst Intern will harness advanced digital techniques, including automated web scraping, API integrations, and natural language processing, to systematically track and analyse national, regional, and global energy policy and project progress towards sustainable development objectives.
Under the supervision of IEA data engineers, analysts and modellers, the chosen Energy Policy Data Analyst Intern will also be involved in the production of IEA flagship publications.
Energy Policy Data Analyst Intern Main Responsibilities
Automated Data Extraction and Analysis:
• Assist in implementing automated techniques to retrieve and validate global energy policy and
project data, emphasizing accuracy and comprehensive details.
• Utilize Natural Language Processing (NLP) and text analytics tools to extract pivotal information
from energy policy documents, research reports, and white papers.
• Transform textual insights into actionable, quantitative metrics compatible with IEA’s energy
• Dive into alternative data sources under senior guidance, playing a role in enriching tracking
systems and engaging in focused research on energy technologies and policies.
• Stay abreast of advancements in data extraction techniques and methodologies, with a focus on
the energy sector.
Data Management and Content Creation:
• Streamline and structure data to bolster IEA’s analytical capacities, crafting policy scorecards for
• Collaborate closely with IEA Data Engineers, ensuring seamless integration with IEA’s core
database management system.
• Contribute to the preparation of publications, leveraging datasets to derive insights, and ensuring
precision in summaries or extractions from textual sources.
Collaboration, Support, and Capacity Building:
• Serve as a bridge between IT specialists, data engineers and analysts, offering support in data
preparation, interpretation, and application.• Participate actively in internal presentations and training sessions, equipping IEA staff with the knowledge to harness newly developed analytical tools.
• Foster a culture of continuous learning and innovation, suggesting new tools or processes that
could enhance efficiency and accuracy.
Energy Policy Data Analyst Intern Ideal Candidate Profile
• Currently pursuing or recently completed a master’s degree or Ph.D. in computer science, data
science, statistics, economics, or related fields. Exposure to machine learning, NLP, big data analytics would be beneficial.
• Courses or projects related to energy policy, or the energy sector would be an advantage.
• Professional experience or academic projects related to data retrieval and processing is paramount.
• Advanced understanding of computer science concepts, particularly in machine learning and NLP.
• Professional experience with or exposure to policy or energy sectors would be an advantage.
• Good communication skills and an eagerness to learn about conveying technical insights to varied
• Demonstrated commitment to quality and attention to detail in prior academic or internship roles.
• Advanced programming in Python.
• Knowledge of web scraping techniques or an eagerness to learn.
• Exposure to NLP algorithms or frameworks used in academic or work projects.
• Interest in understanding and using large language models.
• A beginner’s knowledge in database management tools like SQL or MongoDB would be beneficial.
• Fluency in one of the two OECD official languages (English and French) and knowledge of the
other, with a commitment to reach a good working level. Knowledge of other languages would
be an asset.
Energy Policy Data Analyst Intern Application and Selection process
• Interested candidates are encouraged to email firstname.lastname@example.org with their CV, cover letter,
availability, and part-time or full-time work preferences. Long-listed applicants may be invited to
a written test to be held and panel interviews are planned.
• IEA Internship duration: Six months, with the possibility of renewal.
• Visit OEDC Internship Programme.
Join our Whatsapp Group
Join our Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: