Application Deadline: 07 October 2022
At the 5th Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD V), held in Yokohama in 2013, the Japanese government stated its policy of strengthening support for the ongoing dynamic growth of Africa with stronger public-private partnerships. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced the “African Business Education Initiative for Youth (hereafter, referred to as the “ABE Initiative”), a strategic five-year plan providing 1,000 youths in Africa with opportunities to study for Master’s degree at Japanese universities and experience internships at Japanese companies. Prior to the TICAD V, Japanese industries, including the Federation of Economic Organizations (KEIDANREN) and the Japanese government, had made a joint recommendation for TICAD V at “Public-Private Council for the Promotion of TICADV”. These bodies pointed out that there is a need for human resource development in both private and public sectors of Africa in order to cultivate a strong human network between Japan and Africa. The recommendation also mentioned the significance of increasing the number of African people visiting Japan, as well as increasing awareness among Africans regarding the efficiency of Japanese technologies and systems of companies. The ABE Initiative was launched based on this recommendation.
JICA has been appointed to implement a master’s degree and internship program within the ABE Initiative framework developed for countries whose official requests have been approved by the Government of Japan.
The objective of the ABE Initiative Master’s Degree and Internship Program is to support young personnel who can be a “Navigator” for contributing to the development of industries in Africa. This program offers opportunities for young African men and women to study at master’s courses at Japanese universities as international students (hereafter, referred to as “participants”) and experience internships at Japanese companies. The aim is for them to develop effective skills in order for them to contribute to various fields. Beyond acquisition of skills and knowledge, this program also intends to cultivate excellent personnel who can recognize and understand the contexts of Japanese society and systems of Japanese companies. The expected outcome of the program is a network of potential contributors to the development of African industries who will also lead Japanese businesses to engage further in economic activities in Africa.
Target participants are from among the following three types of personnel.
- Persons from the Private Sector
Young individuals who are or will be involved in economic activities in the local private sector maintaining and developing strong ties with Japanese companies and expected to Africa’s development through business activities.
- Governmental Officials
Young officials, such as civil servants, who take part in formulation and/or implementation of industrial policies, and are expected to contribute to Africa’s development through government activities.
Young instructors/teachers in college, university or research institution in Africa, and are expected to contribute to Africa’s development through joint research/development with Japanese companies etc.
4. Number of Participants/Durations
- 1st batch (arrived in 2014): 156 participants
- 2nd batch (arrived in 2015): 317 participants
- 3rd batch (arrived in 2016): 348 participants
- 4th batch (arrived in 2017): 279 participants
- 5th batch (arrived in 2018): 119 participants
- It is expected that the duration of stay in Japan will be a maximum of 3 years. (6 months as a research student, 2 years as a student for master course and 6 months as an intern)
1. General Information
2. Application Form
- A-3. 2023 Application Form for ABE Initiative (includes Annex1&3) (Excel/316KB)
- A-5. Annex.2 Details of Current and Previous Work, Research Plan and Career Plan after Graduation (Word/22.0KB)
- C-4. Application Form_Cover (ABE, SDGs) (Japanese) (PDF/153KB)
- C-5. Example of Application Form (PDF/916KB)
3. University Information for Applicants
- B-1. 2023 University Information for ABE Initiative (Excel/142KB)
- B-3. Question form for University (Excel/11.7KB)
For inquires regarding the General Information, contact the below