Homebased Short-Term Consultant vacancy as a UEF Scale-Up Coordinator (STC) at SEforALL
Homebased Short-Term Consultant Job
Closing date: 06 Sep 2023
Department: Results-Based Financing / Universal Energy Facility
Duration of assignment: 8 months until 30 April 2024
Contract type: Full-time Homebased Short-Term Consultant
Context and Objective of the Homebased Short-Term Consultant Assignment
SEforALL launched and operationalized the Universal Energy Facility (UEF) in October 2020 as a multi-donor RBF facility designed to significantly speedup and scaleup the delivery of energy connections in Sub-Saharan Africa. The UEF provides incentive payments to eligible organizations that deploy energy solutions and provide verified end-user energy connections.
SEforALL’s activities include designing end-to-end UEF framework and processes, including qualification criteria, technical specifications and KPIs (Key Performance Indicators); conducting analysis of base case assumptions and financial modelling to ensure a sound subsidy amount; setting up the UEF Governance Structure; carrying out in-country due diligence and stakeholder engagement; and managing the full process from pre-qualification and site-specific applications to grant disbursements.
The UEF opened its first funding window in 2020 for mini-grids in Madagascar, Sierra Leone, and the Republic of Benin, and a second mini-grid window in 2022 in Madagascar, Sierra Leone and the DRC. Over the coming year, SEforALL expects to significantly grow the UEF to be a USD 100 million facility operating in multiple countries in Africa, expanding the mini-grid windows and launching new windows for solar for productive use (SSPU).
The main objectives of the Results Based Financing (RBF) Results Offer are:
- To provide a funding mechanism that allows for scale, speed and efficiency to achieve universal energy access by 2030.
- To operationalize and scale the UEF for mini-grids, stand-alone systems for productive uses, and clean cooking solutions.
- Under the RBF programme, SEforALL also provides advocacy, communications and outreach to promote and scale the transition to results-based approaches to providing energy access.
Purpose/Objective of UEF Scale-Up Coordinator role
- Provide project management support in the scale-up of the UEF to an additional five countries.
- Further support redesign and implement the proposed operational changes for the UEF in close collaboration with the UEF Team.
- Support resource mobilization efforts for scaling the UEF to a USD 100 million Facility.
- Coordinate identification of new countries ensuring there is an effective feasibility assessment of the regulatory environment and ensuring successful stakeholder engagement, both private and public.
- Provide advice and guidance related to programme risks, opportunities and challenges and develop solutions to address the risks.
Main Duties and Tasks of the UEF Scale-Up Coordinator Role
The main responsibilities of the Homebased Short-Term Consultant include but are not limited to:
- Programme Implementation and Support: Work closely with the Principal Specialist, Energy (UEF) and the team to implement various programme objectives, including the management and monitoring of UEF grantees.
- Strengthening UEF’s engagement with the DRC and Benin governments to expedite the issuance of regulatory approvals, licences and permits.
- Engage regularly with developers to identify and resolve issues that may impede project development and implementation.
- Coordinate closely with other in-country partner programmes, energy sector stakeholders and partners to provide technical assistance to strengthen the enabling environment for mini-grid investments.
- Support the Senior Director and the Principal Specialist, Energy (UEF) in planning and design and monitoring UEF progress, resolving issues and initiating appropriate action.
- Support the Finance Specialist in managing the UEF budget, monitoring expenditure and costs against results.
- In collaboration with resource mobilization and leadership teams, actively build a donor pipeline, and provide any necessary support through the full fundraising cycle.
- With the support of the Senior Director, lead in developing compelling pitches, decks, and other communication materials that help build relationships and generate prospects.
- Develop funding materials including slide decks, concept notes and proposals that meet SEforALL quality standards and articulate clearly SEforALL’ s and UEF’s case for support.
- Oversee the writing of proposals with overall responsibility for ensuring proposal process is aligned to internal processes, and that proposal development is proactive and anticipatory.
- Manage negotiations with donors and overseas contracting and ensures relationship management with key donors.
- Partner with the UEF and communications team to keep abreast of UEFs and SEforALL’ s progress, crafting suitable messaging for key updates and donor communication.
- Support the implementation of the UEF scale-up strategy, leading the design of new windows- Clean Cooking and Powering Healthcare.
- Supports knowledge management processes, including documentation, sharing, and learning.
- Develop a project plan and timeline for the UEF scale-up; identify, organize, and track the completion of specific scaleup tasks.
- Coordinate activities and set priorities for the UEF core team, consultants and implementation partners in the implementation and administration of programme scale-up objectives.
- Support stakeholder engagement including technical assistance to energy regulatory agencies and UEF grantees.
- Ensuring programme activities adhere to frameworks and all documentation is maintained appropriately.
- Assess programme risks and issues and provide solutions where applicable. Ensure stakeholder views are managed towards the best solution.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Other tasks that emerge, as needed.
Specific Competencies for the UEF Scale-Up Coordinator Role
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in the energy sector in an international organization, specifically managing off-grid energy programmes.
- A minimum 7 years’ experience in support of Programme Management in an international organization, including support of grant. management to project developers in Africa or Asia, or relevant equivalent experience considered.
- Demonstrated experience working within workflow management systems, including the capturing of data throughout different steps of the process from different roles participating in that system.
- Demonstrated experience supporting the design and implementation of RBF programmes.
- Experience in the energy access sector, preferably mini-grids and solar home systems and/or experience in climate and environment is considered a strong advantage.
- Possess the ability to develop effective strategies based on analysis of challenges, potential risks, and opportunities, linking the vision to reality, and creating tangible solutions.
- Experiences in a fast-paced environment that requires high flexibility and a commitment to results.
- Experiences in operating across multiple time zones and with distributed teams.
- Knowledge of international organizations is an advantage.
- Previous experience in policy, project management and event management are an advantage.
General Competences for the UEF Scale-Up Coordinator Role
- Energy Policies: Understanding of best in class approaches to energy policy in Global South, specifically energy access and off-grid/rural electrification, energy efficiency and energy productivity policy and technology solutions. Understands the strategic and development context of energy efficiency and renewable energy.Energy Solutions: Understanding of energy planning processes, systems change, and the role of demand and supply side solutions both at macro and micro scale. Energy efficiency/productivity and on- and off-grid solutions for energy efficiency and energy access. Particular experience with renewables, energy efficiency and energy productivity process and technology solutions as well as an understanding of different sectoral approaches and technology applications a plus.
- Stakeholder engagement: A track record of engaging with public, private sector and CSO partners in an international and country context.
- Knowledge Management and turning Knowledge to Value and Strategic Engagement: Ability to work with others to create, synthesize and/ or share relevant knowledge and to stimulate its use through concrete strategies for delivery.
- Planning and Organization: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments. Adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently and is able to work to deadlines and maintain effectiveness under pressure. Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to details and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple workflows at the same time. Proactive approach to managing workflow, with keen ability to multi-task and respond quickly and flexibly to a wide range of issues, some of which come up in ad hoc and unexpected ways.
- Writing and Research Skills: Excellent written, synthesis and research skills, including drafting ability and extensive knowledge of word processing and application of software package as databases and Power Point Presentations;
- Communication: Excellent communication skills in speaking and writing; ability to develop contacts, foster collaboration with internal as well as external stakeholders, deliver presentations, advocate for viewpoints and participate actively in internal as well as external debates and negotiations. Ability to craft messages and communiques, and copy edit work to produce flawless written communications is required.
- Learning Culture: Encourages a learning culture by seeking out and being open to feedback, as well as effectively mentoring others, on how to improve contribution and impact through continuous learning and knowledge acquisition.
- Analysis and Innovation: Demonstrated excellent numerical and analytical skills that can be applied to gather data and generate knowledge relevant to decision-making functions. Capability and easiness to work with numbers, calculate, and analyze data as well as the ability to summarize and present key-findings. Inspires and influences others to drive innovation. Inspires others to develop new solutions that have a development impact and advocates for changes and application of new methods to enhance results.
- Technological Awareness: Excellent e-skills, including the ability to use modem office technology and related software. Practical knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software is required. Ability to do internet research, compile information and find solutions on line to information gaps is essential.
- Teamwork: Works within the team as well as with colleagues across work units. Supports colleagues, establishes a team culture, encourages others to participate in teamwork and share responsibility for decision-making and results. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Demonstrated ability to work with teams representing a wide variety of staffing levels that also cut across agencies and partners, and work without direct authority to deliver timely and high quality products. Strong team player capabilities.
To receive more Opportunities
Join our Whatsapp group
Join our Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: