Research Fellow: Climate Finance
SEI Asia seeks a motivated Research Fellow: Climate Finance to champion transformative projects, advancing financial sectors in alignment with global sustainability objectives, based in the vibrant city of Bangkok.
20 November 2023
2 years with possibility of extension depending on funding availability and performance
Based in Bangkok, SEI Asia has a diverse team of multinational experts who integrate scientific research with participatory approaches to co-develop and share knowledge, build partnerships, and influence policy for resilient development. SEI Asia’s work focuses on gender and social equity, climate adaptation, disaster risk reduction, water insecurity and integrated water resources management, transitional agriculture, renewable energy and urbanization.
SEI Asia is an affiliate of Chulalongkorn University (CU), Thailand. SEI and CU have an agreement to foster innovative scientific research combined with effective policy engagement on development and environmental challenges in Asia. The key areas of collaboration are intellectual engagement for joint research applications and fund mobilization, lectures and seminars for CU students, post-graduate supervision and examination, and CU–SEI employee links.
The Research Fellow: Climate Finance role
The Research Fellow will support the projects of the Centre for Finance for Sustainability Bangkok (CFSB), which will be expanding. Hosted as a programme by SEI Asia, the CFSB works with the private sector and financial hubs to reorient the financial sectors in the region to align more closely with the global goals of the Paris Agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), as well as Thailand’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC).
Following its launch in 2022, the CFSB has hosted Aid Atlas, the platform on finance for development and official development assistance. The CFSB is also implementing a large-scale programme called Inclusive Climate Finance for Communities in the Asia Pacific (ICCAP). The main beneficiaries of ICCAP are private–sector financial service providers (FSPs) and public sector actors that will work in partnership to build viable models and systems to serve climate vulnerable communities. The CFSB also anticipates four upcoming projects focusing on climate adaptation finance.
The Research Fellow will lead the implementation of the key research activities for the project.
Research Fellow Key duties and responsibilities
- Develop knowledge products on the role of the private sector for climate adaptation finance.
- Co-produce knowledge on the climate finance value chain and pipeline in line with the requirements of multi-stakeholder projects.
- Lead the design of capacity building activities on climate finance for the private sector as well as policymakers at national and subnational levels.
- Provide research insight for co-designing financial products and services with the private sector to serve the needs of vulnerable communities in Asia.
- Contribute to the promotion of the CFSB and its network building activities in the region.
- Contribute to proposal development on sustainable finance with a regional focus on Asia.
- Perform literature reviews and synthesize important information from a variety of sources on private climate finance; sustainable finance; blended instruments;Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG); safeguard measures; impact measurement frameworks; etc.
- Ensure the completion of the monitoring, reporting, evaluation and learning processes of the projects.
- Manage colleagues’ performance (if any).
- Perform other relevant research duties under the guidance of the line manager.
Who you are
We are looking for a motivated professional with relevant expertise who is passionate about sustainable development.
Research Fellow Required qualifications
Formal qualifications and knowledge
- Doctoral degree with a minimum of four years of working experience or master’s degree with a minimum of 8 years of working experience on research, research management and/or the bridging of research to policy in relevant to subject areas of climate studies, economics, finance, public policy, management etc.
- Experience of and solid track record in fundraising.
- Deep understanding of financing instruments for adaptation, mitigation and sustainability and for resilience that engage the private sector, including blended finance instruments, both from a theoretical perspective and from a deployment perspective.
- Familiarity with the policy environment surrounding adaptation and mitigation finance, sustainable and green finance at global stage, in particular private finance (i.e. what policies/strategies/plans concerning these topics are currently implemented in the region).
- Excellent understanding of the issues surrounding ESG standards, safeguards, taxonomies and impact measurement frameworks applied to climate, sustainable or green finance.
- A proven track record of publications, including evidence-based technical documents, in collaboration with multiple authors and organizations.
- Experience working in multidisciplinary and transdisciplinary teams, including teams comprised of researchers, technical experts and practitioners.
- Experience in people or team management is an advantage.
- Having established networks of professionals, practitioners and researchers working in the same field(s).
- PhD in field of relevance.
- Completed certificate courses on sustainable finance.
- Experience in working at the regional level in related fields.
- Experience in communicating successfully with multiple stakeholders that have different levels of technical competence.
- Extensive network of contacts among private institutional investors investing in sustainability in Asia and the Pacific.
- Familiarity with the policy environment surrounding adaptation and mitigation finance and sustainable and green finance in the Asia Pacific region (i.e. what policies/strategies/plans concerning these topics are currently implemented in the region).
Research Fellow Required personal skills
- Capable of working independently (after initial introduction and guidance)
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Proactive personality with excellent “can do” and problem-solving attitude
- Entrepreneurial and able to work independently on tight time schedules
- Flexible team worker, with the ability to interact successfully with other members of staff ranging from administrative staff to scientific experts
SEI Asia researchers share principles and beliefs that underpin the work of the organization and guide the actions and behaviours of all employees, no matter their position:
- Respect for diversity
Skills, attributes and behaviours that are considered important for all employees, regardless of their function or level, fall into seven mandatory competencies that are rated individually.
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Client- and results-oriented
- Organizational awareness
Skills, attributes and behaviours that are considered essential for an employee with managerial or supervisory responsibilities are the following:
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance
- Judgement and decision-making
- Strategic planning and vision
- Managing resources
With a team comprising over 20 nationalities, SEI Asia welcomes diverse global applicants from all genders, nationalities and social backgrounds for all posts and provides an internationally competitive level NGO salary and benefits package. All employee contracts are under Thai labour law.
SEI is an equal opportunity employer, and we consider all applicants on the basis of qualifications and competencies regardless of and not limited to race, national origin, religious beliefs, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability and/or marital status. We are committed to ensuring diversity and equality within our organization and applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible, but no later than 20 November 2023, 23:59 Bangkok local time.
Applications should be written in English and consist of a short CV and cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience.
As we only accept applications through our recruitment system, please apply online using the button below and include:
- Max 2 page cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
- Curriculum vitae (max 4 pages)
Join our WhatsApp group
Join our Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: