Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Location: Incheon, South Korea (ICN), KR
Company: Green Climate Fund
Deadline: 03 December 2023 (11:59 PM KST)
Job Category: International
Salary: USD 123,770 net (plus attractive benefits, that include the following allowances (as applicable): Relocation, dependency, housing, education assistance and home country travel.
The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to assist developing countries to respond to climate change while bringing prosperity to their people.
Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies. It is country-driven and undertakes actions that reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and its national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
Since its establishment, the GCF has approved 216 projects in 129 countries and has committed USD 12.0 billion in climate finance. In addition, it has built up an extensive program to support developing countries to identify their needs, in particular, those who are most vulnerable to climate change impacts.
The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from its headquarters in South Korea. Our talented staff makes unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment.
Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist Position Objective
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will be responsible for ensuring that the GCF’s investments are deliverable, measurable, monitorable and credible by safeguarding the quality at entry of the monitoring and evaluation aspects of mitigation, adaptation and cross-cutting funding proposals, Readiness grant proposals, PPFs and NAPs. Additionally, the specialist will focus on supporting the adherence by NDAs and other partners (internal and external) to quality assurance standards for the GCF and best practices in results management.
Lastly, the Monitoring and Evaluation specialist will enable the operationalization of the Fund’s Integrated Results Management Framework (IRMF) with respect to creating guidance, templates, initial quality assurance checks and substantive review and extraction of lessons learnt from evaluations.
Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist Purpose
- Ensure integration of meaningful M&E methodologies in FP and Readiness proposals in compliance with the Board-approved frameworks such as the Integrated Results Management Framework and Monitoring and Accountability Framework in order to improve the current and future management of outputs, outcomes and impact.
- Provide strategic guidance and demonstrate strong technical expertise to support the sequencing, design, commissioning and conduct of GCF led evaluations in line with GCF evaluation policy and in coordination with the GCF Independent Evaluation Unit.
- Develop and coordinate the implementation and maintenance of the Secretariat‘s internal monitoring and reporting system including defining the necessary key performance indicators and online reporting tools for visualizing the status of the Secretariat operations through scorecards and dashboards;
Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist Engagement
- Build internal and external partners’ competencies with respect to best practices in M&E methodologies to ensure that they are capacitated to deliver transformational and measurable/monitorable investments.
- Network and actively engage with, amongst others, partners, peer institutions, communities of practice, AEs, NDAs, DPs to disseminate learnings and to acquire timely information with respect to M&E policies, tools, best practices.
- Advise internal and external partners on current M&E best practices on elements such as preparing realistic benchmarks and mechanisms for measuring effectiveness of investments.
- Proactively share, engage and collaborate with other Secretariat divisions on M&E and emerging lessons and best practices from implementation in addition to engaging with and responding to the GCF Independent Evaluation Unit’s requests and evaluations on portfolio and results related matters as required.
Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist Delivery
- Provide thorough and actionable guidance on and assessments of climate basis, Theory of Change, logical framework, indicators, methodologies and measurement, reporting and verification systems as articulated in Concept Notes and Funding Proposals at various stages of development.
- Update M&E approaches to review and assess Funding Proposals and Readiness Grant proposals and work to build consistency in project/programme outputs, outcomes and impact.
- Undertake preparation of high-quality evaluation reports on GCF led evaluations and review of project/programme evaluation reports submitted by GCF partners (AEs, etc).
- Devise, deliver and update M&E tools and processes to respond to evolutions in the field, GCF policies, and stakeholders needs.
- Generate knowledge management products on M&E such as handbooks, tool kits for indicators; lessons learnt and sensitize stakeholders through various fora including through webinars, trainings, conferences, etc.
Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist Requirements (Education, experience, technical competencies required of the job)
- Masters level in economics, finance, business administration, sustainable development, climate policy, environmental sciences, or related fields;
- A minimum of nine (9) of relevant work experience;
- Outstanding analytical, interpersonal/relationship management, communications, collaborative, and negotiation skills;
- A team-player with a proactive, solution-oriented, can-do attitude matched by an ability to prioritize and deliver work under tight deadlines;
- Strong M&E design skills;
- Strong technological awareness and data management skills;
- Robust understanding of the Fund’s instruments (grants, loans, guarantees and equity) and sectorial investment areas;
- Excellent written and oral communication/presentation skills in English are essential for this position; knowledge of another UN language an advantage;
- Ability to articulate complex issues verbally and in writing in a concise manner;
- Project implementation and experience in an international setting are advantageous;
- Strong alignment with GCF values;
- Candidates with Climate experience including assessing GHG impacts and/or climate resilience and adaptation results have an added advantage.
The closing date for Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist application is 03 December 2023. Applications submitted after the deadline may not be considered.
Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist Applications from women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged.
Join our WhatsApp group
Join our Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: