Human Resources/ HR Assistant, G-4
Deadline: 10 December 2023 23:59 hrs CET
Where you will be working
The HR Assistant position is located in the Human Resources sub‐division, which is accountable for providing effective workforce planning, strategic talent acquisition and organizational development, with a view to increasing the geographical and gender diversity of the secretariat and meeting its evolving needs. HR has a transversal function in the organization and its aim is to ensure that UNFCCC has the right quality of Human Resources with the appropriate skills and competencies in order to achieve
its strategic and operational goals and to provide staff with a supportive, challenging and rewarding
work environment in order for them to fulfil their potential and maximize their contribution to the
HR Assistant Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Staff Development Officer and the overall guidance of the Chief of
Human Resources, the HR Assistant provides a wide range of administrative functions related to the
learning and development, performance management and well-being portfolio of the Secretariat.
You will have the following responsibilities
- Assists in the planning and management of secretariat-wide learning and development,
performance management and well-being activities:
- Provides administrative support and liaises with colleagues in Finance, Procurement, PAT,
consultants and vendors in order to facilitate the administrative processes related to the
planning and implementation of learning and development activities;
- Initiates, processes, monitors, reviews and follows up to ensure timelines are met when hiring
consultants and facilitators, vendors and venues, procuring services and preparing workshops;
- Provides support to managers and staff on matters related to learning and development,
performance management and well-being, including guidance on the respective policies,
guidelines and best practices; escalating issues to the Staff Development Officer as
Works collaboratively with PATs to monitor completion rates of PAS and mandatory training
programmes and issues reminders to staff and managers;
- Provides support to visiting staff counsellors, ombudsmen, etc. by coordinating briefings
sessions, responding to questions, etc.
- Provides support in regard to the maintenance of learning and development, performance
management and well-being related information on the intranet.
- Supports the planning and coordination of the secretariat’s internal and external learning and
- Assists in the design and evaluation of learning needs assessments and provides support in
regard to the establishment of a strategy and plan for the secretariat’s learning and
- Assists in the market research for training vendors and consultants and provides support in
the preparation of Terms of Reference and Requests for Outside Expertise;
- Compiles relevant information on the secretariat’s internal and external learning programmes;
responds to queries relating to the respective policies and guidelines;
- Reviews and processes applications for external learning.
- Provides support to the secretariat’s Learning Management System (LMS) and Performance
Appraisal tool (ePerformance).
- Maintains and updates system by entering user accounts for newcomers;
- Maintains staff member’s records for face-to-face as well as on-line learning activities;
- Assists in setting up and configuring the annual online Performance Appraisal;
- Generates data and reports on learning activities, PAS status and completion rates;
- Provides helpdesk and user support to staff by responding to standard emails and queries
received and escalating issues as necessary.
- Assists in the administration of the Internship Programme
- Processes requests for internships and drafts announcements;
- Screens incoming applications and communicates with candidates;
- Assists in the onboarding of successful candidates, including liaison with local authorities for
visa and work permits;
- Provides administrative support to interns and supervisors throughout the internship;
- Assists in creating and compiling results of end-of‐internship surveys.
HR Assistant Qualifications
Completed secondary education or its equivalent.
At least four (4) years of work experience relevant to the functions of the post, in particular in regard
to learning and development and human resources management. Experience in establishing and
implementing learning and development activities as well as working in an international environment is highly desirable.
Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Working knowledge of German and/or another
United Nations language is an asset.
Specific professional knowledge and skills
Proficiency in the use of standard office IT systems and applications is required.
How to apply:
Candidates whose qualifications and experience match what we are looking for should use the online
application system available at http://unfccc.int/secretariat/employment/recruitment
- This HR Assistant position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the United Nations Staff Rules. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. A valid work permit for Germany is required. All travel costs related to the interview and relocation incurred to take up an appointment at the duty station in Bonn are at the expense of the applicant.
- We will confirm receipt of your application. However, only candidates under serious consideration
and contacted for an interview will receive notice of the final outcome of the selection process.
Join our Whatsapp group
Join our Telegram group.
Visit our social media pages: