French Institutes for Advanced Study (FIAS)
Application Deadline: 6 June 2023
About the FIAS fellowship programme
French Institutes for Advanced Study (FIAS) is an international mobility programme proposing high-level scientific residencies in the seven IAS of Aix-Marseille, Loire Valley (Orléans-Tours), Lyon, Montpellier, Nantes, Paris and Rennes.
The FIAS fellowship programme supports high-quality and innovative research as fellows conduct their research with the greatest freedom and benefit from the strong scientific and extra-academic support by the institutes.
Initiated in 2020, the FIAS Fellowship programme will run until the 2024-2025 academic year. For the 2024-2025 academic year, 40 fellowships of 10 months are available for experienced researchers from all fields of social sciences and the humanities.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 945408
Call for applications for the FIAS fellowship programme
The French Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship Programme offers 10-month fellowships in the seven Institutes of Aix-Marseille, Loire Valley, Lyon, Montpellier, Nantes, Paris and Rennes. It welcomes applications from high level international scholars and scientists primarily in the fields of the social sciences and the humanities (SSH).
Available positions for the FIAS fellowship programme 2024-2025 academic year are :
- Aix-Marseille: 4
- Loire Valley (Orléans-Tours): 3
- Lyon: 10
- Montpellier: 3
- Nantes: 4
- Paris: 13
- Rennes: 3
The FIAS fellowship programme call is open to all disciplines in the SSH and all research fields. Research projects from other sciences that features a transversal dialogue with SSH are also eligible. It is highly recommended to check the Institutes webpages to learn more about their focus, scientific priorities and partners.
The Fellows will benefit from the support and conducive scientific environment offered by the IAS characterized by an interdisciplinary cohort of fellows and a close relation to the local research potential. The fellows will be free to organize their work and conduct research as they wish.
Eligibility of the FIAS fellowship programme
FIAS awards fellowships to outstanding researchers of all career levels, from postdoctoral researchers to senior scientists. The minimum requirement is a PhD + 2 years of research experience at the time of the application. Exception will be made for scholars with a Master + 6 years of full-time research experience after the degree (PhD training will not be considered in the calculation of experience).
Researchers from all countries are eligible to the FIAS Fellowship Programme but they must have spent no more than 12 months in France during the three years prior to the application deadline.
The FIAS fellowship programme scientific selection is competitive, merit-based and conducted through an international independent peer review.
The FIAS fellowship programme 2024-2025 Calendar of implementation
- April 17th, 2023: opening of the application platform
- June 6th, 2023, 6:00 pm (Paris, France time): deadline for applications
- June 2023: eligibility check
- July-October 2023: double peer review
- November 2023: preselection by the FIAS Selection Committee (communication of preselection results, December 2023)
- January – February 2024: selection of fellows by IAS Scientific Advisory Boards and communication of results
More details can be found in the guide for applicants.
Conditions of the FIAS fellowship programme
FIAS fellowships offer the following conditions:
- A net living allowance (equivalent to take-home pay) of €2,700 per month *
- Two flexible contractual options, considering individual situations: work contracts or paid leave*
- Adequate social security coverage
- Accommodation or support for relocation
- An individual research and training budget equivalent to €2,500 per year
- Travel expenses (one round trip from the fellow home country)
- Same working conditions as the IAS’ other fellows, including individual offices, special access and lending privileges in university-based research libraries, IT services, multiple collective spaces
- Skills training opportunities
For information specific to each IAS, please check the Institute dedicated pages.
Eligibility Requirements for the FIAS fellowship programme
The FIAS candidates must fulfill all the eligibility requirements to be considered:
- Degree & experience
At the time of the application deadline, researchers will have to be in possession of a doctoral degree plus 2 years of full-time research experience after the degree. Exception will be made for scholars with a Master + 6 years of full-time research experience after the degree (PhD training will not be considered in the calculation of experience).
Researchers from all countries and nationalities are eligible to the Programme. Applicants must fulfil the transnational MSCA mobility rule: incoming researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in France for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline.
The Programme is open to all Social Sciences and the Humanities. Applicants are strongly encouraged to check the IAS’ websites to learn more about the scientific orientation of the Institutes and their potential opening to disciplines outside the humanities and social sciences. Applications from artists matching the eligibility requirements are welcome.
- Administrative requirements
Applicants must provide full application forms and all requested documents through the online application platform. Incomplete and late applications are not considered eligible. Applications not complying with the maximum length criteria will not be considered. Applications in languages other than English (also partially) will not be considered.
The FIAS Fellowship Programme is committed to ensuring equal opportunities and working towards greater diversity within its academic community. It will not discriminate against researchers in any way (gender, age, ethnic, national or social origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, language, disability, political opinion, social or economic condition).
How to apply for the FIAS fellowship programme
The application is to be completed exclusively via the FIAS website. Applicants must create a user account via the arrow in the high right corner of the fias webpage.
The requested application material (in English exclusively) will consist of:
- The completed online application form
- A detailed curriculum vitae with a comprehensive list of publications
- A copy of the diploma
- A detailed research proposal (maximum 5 pages and a bibliography – 1 additional page)
- A selection of three to five publications (articles or book chapters)
- A letter of support/interest by an IAS’s local scientific partner -only requested and mandatory for Le Studium (Loire Valley IAS), for the Collegium de Lyon, for MAK’IT (Montpellier IAS), and for the Paris IAS.
- Optional: Up to two letters of recommendation
For further information, you may refer to the FAQ.
To receive more Opportunities
Join our Whatsapp group
Join our Telegram group.