International (all nations)
Application Deadline: varying
Are you ready to become an international UN Youth Volunteer?
You can contribute your time, skills and knowledge through volunteering with the UN. This is an opportunity to create a positive impact and be a significant force for achieving peace and development. Make a difference to the lives of many!
Why volunteer with UN?
- International UN Volunteers promote peace and development in communities around the globe, while upholding the ideals and aspirations of the United Nations.
- They come from 160 countries, representing many cultures and backgrounds, and bring a wide variety of perspectives and approaches.
- Your international UN Volunteer assignment will enable you to make a lasting impact. It can create a ripple effect that extends far beyond the immediate results of your efforts.
- As an international UN Volunteer, you will learn about different cultures and languages, expand your networks and gain unmatched professional and life experiences.
- The minimum age to serve as an international UN Volunteer is 18 years old, however, there are specific requirements for various categories: International UN Youth Volunteers, including University Volunteers, must be aged 18-26, UN Volunteer specialists must be at least 27 years old, and UN Expert Volunteers must be 35 years of age and above.
- There may also be requirements of relevant professional and academic experience, as well as language proficiency. Refer to the Description of Assignment for the UN Volunteer assignment for which you are applying for details.
- All UN Volunteers must display a commitment to the values and principles of volunteerism and the mandated activities of the United Nations and the UN Charter, and an ability to work in a multicultural environment and with local partners and communities.
- They should be prepared to adjust to difficult living conditions in sometimes remote locations.
- UN Volunteers should be professional, with strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
Conditions of Service
International UN Volunteer assignments may generally run from three to 12 months, with the possibility of extending contracts up to a maximum period of four years. UN Youth Volunteers may serve from six months to two years, and UN University Volunteers from three to six months. See more below. International UN Volunteers are entitled to certain allowances to support their assignment. Allowances are in no way to be understood as a compensation, reward or salary in exchange for the volunteer work. The purpose of allowances is to enable UN Volunteers to sustain a secure standard of living during their assignments.
Profiles in high demand include:
- Development and project management (community development, environment, programme and project development, project management, monitoring and evaluation);
- Legal affairs (human rights, protection, resettlement, reintegration, repatriation, refugee status determination, child protection);
- Political science (civil affairs, political affairs);
- Public information (reporting and external relations);
- Engineering (civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering); and
- Health (general medicine, public health).
In order to apply for assignments, candidates need to register in our Global Talent Pool. The registration process follows a few simple steps, all of which must be completed before you can apply for onsite or online volunteering assignments. You can update your UNV profile at any time, and you should access it at least once a year to keep it active.