Career Coaching and Blog

You can work and travel in Canada with International Experience Canada: APPLY NOW!

What is International Experience Canada (IEC)?

International Experience Canada (IEC) gives youth the opportunity to travel and work in Canada for up to 2 years.

There are 3 different kinds of work and travel experiences available with International Experience Canada : 1. Working Holiday 2. Young Professionals 3. International Co-op (Internship)

If you’re a citizen of a partner country, you may be able to apply with International Experience Canada to one or more of these 3 categories.

If you aren’t a citizen of a partner country, you may still be able to apply to International Experience Canada through a recognized organization.

Who can participate

To participate in the International Experience Canada

  • your country or territory of citizenship must have a Youth Mobility Agreement with Canada or
  • you may be able to use a recognized organization

Some countries only allow you to participate once. Others allow you to participate twice, but in different categories. Because each country is different, it’s important that you check to see if you’re eligible to apply.

Even if you’re issued an invitation to apply, you can’t participate more times than your country allows. After you submit your application, an officer will assess your eligibility, including your past participations. Make sure you read and understand all the requirements before you submit an application.

Even if you hold a refugee travel document issued by a country that has a youth mobility agreement with Canada, you’re not eligible to participate.

canada gov

To receive more Opportunities

Join our Whatsapp group

Join our Telegram group.

Visit our social media pages:


Your dependants can’t come with you to Canada under the International Experience Canada or IEC program. However, they may apply to visit, study or work in Canada. We’ll look at your application separately from theirs.

Find out more about how dependants can come to Canada.

International Experience Canada: How the pools work

Normally, your profile will stay in the pool until:

  • you receive an Invitation to Apply for a work permit
  • we remove all of the profiles from the pool(s) at the end of the season or
  • you’re no longer eligible for IEC

We’ll regularly issue invitations to candidates in the IEC pools during the IEC season. Check the schedule to find out:

  • when the rounds of invitations for each country and category will start and end
  • the number of candidates in the pools and
  • your chances of getting an invitation this season

You can submit an IEC profile at any time during the IEC season. As long as you submit your profile before the date of the last round of invitations for your country, you may receive an Invitation to Apply for a work permit.

One International Experience Canada (IEC) profile in multiple pools

You can only have 1 IEC profile at any time. However, you can be eligible for more than 1 IEC pool.

When you complete your profile, we’ll tell you which pools are available to you. You can submit your profile to any of these available pools. For example, you might be eligible to submit your profile to the Working Holiday and Young Professionals pools.

How we issue Invitations to Apply

Invitations to Apply are issued in the following order:

  1. International Co-op (Internship)
  2. Young Professionals
  3. Working Holiday

If your profile is in an International Co-op (Internship) pool and Working Holiday pool, you’ll receive an Invitation to Apply for an International Co-op category. You’ll only receive an Invitation to Apply for a Working Holiday work permit if there are no spots left in the International Co-op (Internship) category.

Get your supporting documents ready

You won’t automatically get a work permit, if you receive an Invitation to Apply.

To get a work permit, you’ll have to:

  • show proof of the information you gave us in your IEC profile
  • provide additional information on your education, work history and background and
  • provide other potential supporting documents when requested

If you’re in an IEC pool, you should start getting any supporting documents you may need for your work permit application. Some documents may take several months to get. You could get an Invitation to Apply at any time, and you’ll have limited time to submit your work permit application and documents.



To receive more Opportunities

Join our Whatsapp group

Join our Telegram group.

Visit our social media pages:

ALSO CHECK: Common Mistakes to Avoid When Applying for an Immigrant Visa to Work in the U.S.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker