External Programmes · Home-based, Remote position
Closing date: 23 March 2023 at 23:59 CET
Duty Station: Home-based/ Remote Position
Team: Energy Efficiency and Cooling
Line Manager: Head, Energy Efficiency and Cooling
Contract Type: Part-time Short-term Consultant
Date Required: As soon as possible
Duration: Max. 30 days from March to December 2023
Background on SEforALL
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an international organization working with leaders in government, the private sector and civil society to drive further, faster action toward achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), which calls for universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to limit climate warming to well below 2° Celsius (and striving for 1.5° Celsius).
Achieving these goals will require a radical rethink of the way we produce, distribute and consume energy. SEforALL is at the heart of this foundational shift to ensure no one is left behind. Drawing on data and evidence, we identify a critical path to success in achieving SDG7.
Former The 8th UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the Sustainable Energy for All initiative in 20121. Now an independent organization, we maintain close links with the UN, including through a relationship agreement, partnerships with UN agencies and with SEforALL’s CEO acting as the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative (SRSG) for Sustainable Energy for All and Co-Chair of UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy and the implementation of SDG7 and supporting the coordination of sustainable energy issues in the United Nations system.
The ambitions of SDG7 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris Agreement on climate change involves transformation at a scale never undertaken before. Swift action must be taken by leaders in governments, private sector companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions, communities, entrepreneurs and civil society.
As we enter the final decade to achieve SDG7, SEforALL has strategically chosen to strengthen global agenda-setting while expanding its activities to an engagement model that prioritizes data-driven decision-making, partnerships with high-impact countries and implementation on the ground. The new SEforALL current three-year business plan outlines “results offers” that scope out our planned interventions and demonstrate to our funding partners the impact of their support.
Objective of Assignment :Mission Efficiency Advisor
Energy Efficiency for Sustainable Development: Elevate energy efficiency in the development agenda by communicating a clear narrative, convening partners, advocating for commitments and strengthening energy efficiency initiatives; Support strengthening the enabling environment for energy efficiency with strategy and policy progress; Support energy efficiency knowledge creation and awareness through tracking evidence, analysis and reporting; Sectoral support for market transformation and energy efficiency investment progress in each energy using sector.
Objectives of the Remote position
The main objectives of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Contribute to energy efficiency advisory work to governments and Mission Efficiency.
- Provide sectoral expertise on energy efficiency in the built environment, cities, energy supply, industry, products, services, transport, business models and finance.
- Build relations with governments and stakeholders to improve cohesion in the energy efficiency ecosystem through Mission Efficiency.
Duties and Accountabilities of the Remote position
The primary duties and tasks of the Mission Efficiency Advisor include, but are not limited to:
- Provide advice and technical recommendations to improve drive data-driven policies in energy efficiency across sectors -global and in-country work related to Mission Efficiency.
- Support countries and implementing agencies to develop and enhance policies and commitments that support energy efficiency progress, such as national and sectoral strategies and roadmaps.
- Advise on policies and implementation frameworks needed to synergise energy efficiency targets and NDC commitments at national level.
- Support the development and delivery of training and capacity building materials on best-in-class energy efficiency technologies, policy approaches, services, finance, and business models.
- Identify and support the delivery of South-South training opportunities including the delivery of presentations and other training materials in webinars, meetings, and training events.
- Support countries and partners to elevate energy efficiency in energy transition planning, climate commitments and energy planning.
Specific Competencies for the Remote position
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject area (e.g., Economics, Engineering, Public Policy). A Master’s or other advanced degree will be considered an advantage.
- Understanding of energy efficiency policies, strategies, initiatives, technologies, and the role of energy efficiency in national climate change and development planning.
- Knowledge on finance and business models for energy efficiency.
- Experience in energy efficiency or project implementation and coordination for one or more sectors (e.g., buildings, cities, energy supply, products, industry, services or transport).
- Experience supporting governments or development agencies in-country is an asset.
- Experience in demanding, pressurized, international environments is an asset.
- Relevant working experience (e.g., energy efficiency analysis, policy making, energy efficiency finance and business models) engaging with public, private and civil society organization partners, with experience in international development, a United Nations organization or government an advantage. Experience in supporting developing countries with energy efficiency. Experience in South and Southeast Asia is considered a significant advantage.
- Ability to effectively communicate with policy makers and stakeholders using data and synthesized narratives to provide the rationale for action.
- Ability to multitask, attention to detail and a disposition towards diplomatic and action-oriented interactions.
- Ability to research, analyze and model data that is accessible to a wide degree of audiences (e.g., technical and general public).
- Complete fluency in English with strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Knowledge and ability to work in other languages is considered an asset.
General Competencies for the Remote position
- Stakeholder engagement: A track record of engaging with public, private sector in an international and country context.
- Knowledge Management and turning Knowledge to Value and Strategic Engagement: Ability to work with others to create, synthesize and/ or share relevant knowledge and to stimulate its use through concrete strategies for delivery.
- Planning and Organization: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments. Adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently and is able to work to deadlines and maintain effectiveness under pressure. Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to details and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple workflows at the same time. Proactive approach to managing workflow, with keen ability to multi-task and respond quickly and flexibly to a wide range of issues, some of which come up in ad hoc and unexpected ways.
- Innovation and Adaptability: Has expert skills and commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities. Is flexible to evolving circumstances, as well as actively helps others in doing so.
- Resilience and emotional intelligence: Has expert knowledge in the concepts of resilience and emotional intelligence. Is able to remain calm in challenging situations, to cope with setbacks, is responsive to the emotions of others and maintains a very high level of performance.
- Writing and Research Skills: Excellent written, synthesis and research skills, including drafting ability and extensive knowledge of word processing and application of software package as databases and Power Point Presentations.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills in speaking and writing. Ability to develop contacts, foster collaboration with internal as well as external stakeholders, deliver presentations, advocate for viewpoints and participate actively in internal as well as external debates and negotiations. Ability to craft messages and communiques, and copy edit work to produce flawless written communications is required. Actively promotes improvement of communication skills within the team.
- Learning Culture: Encourages a learning culture by seeking out and being open to feedback, as well as effectively mentoring others, on how to improve contribution and impact through continuous learning and knowledge acquisition.
- Analysis and Innovation: Demonstrated excellent numerical and analytical skills that can be applied to gather data and generate knowledge relevant to decision-making functions. Capability and easiness to work with numbers, calculate, and analyze data as well as the ability to summarize and present key-findings. Inspires and influences others to drive innovation. Inspires others to develop new solutions that have a development impact and advocates for changes and application of new methods to enhance results.
- Technological Awareness: Excellent e-skills, including the ability to use modem office technology and related software. Practical knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software is required. Ability to do internet research, compile information and find solutions online to information gaps is essential.
- Teamwork: Works within the team as well as with colleagues across work units. Supports colleagues, establishes a team culture, encourages others to participate in teamwork and share responsibility for decision-making and results. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Demonstrated ability to work with teams representing a wide variety of staffing levels that also cut across agencies and partners, and work without direct authority to deliver timely and high quality products. Strong team player capabilities.
Our Values – please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
Salary information: The successful candidate will be offered an all-in daily rate determined depending on the successful candidate’s qualification and experience, and applying the principle of internal equity.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
To receive more Opportunities
Join our WhatsApp group
Join our Telegram group.